SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
berrybear_gw

Thoughts on trim for stairs & entry? Photo heavy.

berrybear
10 years ago

I would love to get opinions regarding board and batten (& trim) additions to our living room/entry area. We removed wall-to-wall carpet and put engineered hickory down. We still have to finish the stairs and add baseboard throughout the house. To maintain consistency, all of the trim/molding will be white. We just added MDF board stringers along each side of the stairs. We will also add white risers and dark treads. Basically going for this look:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-B-kuJEsFwyE/UJ13AdjxqJI/AAAAAAAAb_M/gM96wGPejw8/s1600/InstallingStairTreadsRisersDIY25.jpg

Below I have posted numerous photos of our stairs and other shots of this open living space so you have a sense for the feel of this area of our house.

We have encountered a few questions/dilemmas.

1. We don�t want to go crazy and add board and batten everywhere, but we thought it might be a particularly nice addition to the stairs. As you can see in the photos, we have cathedral ceilings and lots of tall blank walls. My husband and I are having trouble agreeing on the height of the board and batten on the right side of the stairs. I�m inclined to have it match the height of the half wall (with the railing) on the left., but he thinks that since the wall is so tall, it should be run higher (say an extra foot and half higher?). I tried to mock up these two different heights in Photoshop; see photos below. They look a little silly, but hopefully you get the idea!
What�s your vote on the board and batten on the stairs? None, short or tall?

2. I�m concerned look silly to have board and batten JUST flanking the stairs. Perhaps we should carry it around the "entry wall" which would wrap around the coat closet (just to the right of the stairs) and then the front door. Does this seem reasonable or would it still look out of place and require that we wrap it around a larger area of the room? If the latter, I will have trouble deciding where to stop it. We don�t want to wrap it around this entire space (at least not now).

Any other thoughts/ suggestions appreciated! Thanks!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (10)