SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xmkx

Does anyone have white Ultracraft cabinets?

xmkx
11 years ago

So I'm leaning towards getting Ultracraft cabinets in White painted maple. The price is really good. They also will increase an upper cabinet's height from 36 inches to 41 inches without charging extra. I've searched the forum and I don't see that many posts about Ultracraft and even fewer recent posts on Ultracraft. Anyone have recent experience with Ultracraft?

Comments (44)

• elamom
    11 years ago

We just ordered Ultracraft cabinets in White painted maple, so I'm curious to hear feedback too!

• xmkx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Elamom, which style of cabinet did you order? I haven't decided yet. I was originally considering Shaker but my salesperson said that a cabinet with slightly more detail might be a little more forgiving of the settling issues that are sometimes more visible on white cabinets. Now I think about it, not sure that makes sense. She recoed Breckenridge.

Any chance you are located in NY?

• Related Discussions

Does anyone do white cabinets and white island anymore?

Q

Comments (14)
    i actually think the trend of white cabs/stained island will end up being dated sooner than later....that said I'm still considering it for the practicality of the island being the busiest part of the kitchen with seating on one side and sink/dw/trash on the working side. I think it will help keeping the island looking better longer than if I had white all over. Still prefer the look of white/white overall.
    ...See More

Has anyone seen Ultracraft cabinets in Beach White ?

Q

Comments (0)
    I am looking at Ultracraft cabinets for my upcoming remodel (through buycabinets.com) since I have heard many good things about this cabinet line, and there are a wide range of sizes and cabinet depths that would help me with my plan. Apparently there is a new white painted finish that is not on their website or in their printed catalog, called Beach White. I have seen a small colour chip, but wanted to hear if anyone has seen a complete door (or complete kitchen !) in this colour. I am looking for classic creamy white, and intend to use soapstone, pale yellow walls, and dark hardwood floor. Thanks !
    ...See More

Does anyone have white subway tile with stained wood cabinets?

Q

Comments (9)
    Thank you everyone- your kitchens are lovely! I can only hope mine turns out as nice when it is finally finished. Vjrnts: Your soapstone is so cool- what type is that? My cabs are maple but a similar shade so it really gave me an idea of what it would look like. Bunglogirl: Thanks for the pic-- I have the same sink - it looks really nice with the tile. Sarchlos-remoodeler: if you can dig up that pic it would be greatly appreciated- sounds pretty. Thank you all.
    ...See More

Does anyone have Ultracraft cabinets that they can post pictures of?

Q

Comments (1)
    I have some cherry ultracraft cabinets if that will help. Red undertone so prolly not much help to you.
    ...See More
  • angela12345
    11 years ago

We have UltraCraft, but in stained cherry. We are very happy with the cabinets and our installers were very happy ... they said it was their favorite line to install.

Since there is no additional charge, go ahead & order your uppers a bit deeper as well. I did that on some of the cabinets but not the one that is really the best place for the large salad bowl and my large mixing bowls. They are just a teensy bit too large for the cabinet and I am wishing I had ordered that cabinet deeper as well. The deeper cabinets are great for my glasses - the extra space gave me room to have the glasses 4 rows deep instead of 3 rows deep.

I did do several custom widths on my cabinets. It was very freeing not having to stick to 3" increments.

• xmkx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Angela12345 - thanks for the feedback. it looks like I'm leaning towards UltraCraft.

• jerzeegirl
    11 years ago

I wanted Ultracraft but couldn't get them in my neck of the woods. I was very impressed with their 100 year warranty!

• JoanLast
    10 years ago

How did your ultracraft cabinets turn out? Did you go with the Breckenridge? Did you post a reveal any where?

Thanks!

• xmkx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Joanlast - I am installing them right now. I did not go with Breckenridge. I went with Shaker Wide in Artic White low sheen. My friend did install the Breckenridge. What are you considering?

• JoanLast
    10 years ago

I'm making myself crazy! I wish I could see more samples. What made you go with the low sheen? I've seen great low sheen samples in cherry with darker stains. I'm considering beach white Breckenridge for the perimeter of the kitchen and cherry with cocoa for the island and bar.

• xmkx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Where are you located?

The craziness is just beginning. This is just one of the hundred decisions you will have to make with your kitchen. Yikes!

Save your sanity. Ask the dealer to order you a sample door when you figure out which one you want. It is cheaper to eat the cost of a sample door than to order the wrong cabinets. Don't you agree?

I saw a sample of the low sheen and loved it. That's why I choose it.

• JoanLast
    10 years ago

I'm outside Columbus, Ohio. My cabinets are for my condo in Florida. Luckily, the parade of homes around me had 10 very comparable kitchens and I got a feel this week. I even got my husband to come the next day and look with me. I would like to see the low-sheen cabinets.

• Nancy Seitz
    10 years ago

Hi UltraCraft peeps,

I am having trouble deciding between Arctic White and Beach White. My husband wants the Beach and I prefer the whiter white. Any suggestions, comments or experiences to share??

• xmkx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think its just a matter of personal opinion. There is no right or wrong Just like for my wedding dress, I wore a white instead of ivory. Some people just prefer ivory and some people just prefer white. Have you seen sample doors in each color?

BTW - I love my Artic White Low Sheen. Isn't Beach White a little creamier?

• Nancy Seitz
    10 years ago

Thanks for your response NYMK.

I have those little painted samples they give you. I always wanted a white kitchen- it seems very crisp. I think the Beach White is warmer, but it is definitely creamier and seems very off white to me. It will limit me on the backsplash also I think. The low sheen sounds great. I'll have to see a sample of that. My granite is going to be Costa Esmerelda which is a sage green.

• xmkx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I agree. Artic White is crisper and a little colder. Beach White is warmer.

Tons of people have cream cabinets and they've found a backsplash so don't let that be the only reason to hold you back. Have you tried to go onto Houzz.com and see what everyone else with cream colored cabinets did?

• JoanLast
    10 years ago

I have an off white (pearl) leather sectional in the adjoining room. That's why I'm going with the beach white. I also thought off white looked better with the sea pearl quartzite I picked out. Ironically, I wore off-white at my wedding too! I'm waiting for the cabinets and quartzite to be installed before picking out a backsplash. I'm not worried. Something will work; I'll know it when I see it. The bar area and the island will be in cherry stained cocoa.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I would love to see pictures of the Ultracraft cabinets with details of what each of you chose as it sounds so well made. That that chose white or the creamier color, can you put a piece of bright white paper next to the cabinet so we can see the color difference? Thank you so much!

• JoanLast
    10 years ago

Lynn - Houzz.com has a good selection of ultracraft pictures. Search for ultracraft beach white and arctic white. We were working around our new sectional. it would look dirty next to white. I picked out my floor first. It's a tile that looks like wood. Etic noce...

What I like best about the ultracraft is the kitchen designer - Martha Hafner in Sarasota, FL. By far the most helpful and innovative of all I talked to...

• xmkx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't think I ever ended up posting a photo of what my kitchen looks like. This is immediately after it was completed - that's why it doesn't look cluttered yet ;)

• javiwa
    9 years ago

xmkx - just read your post in the K vs U thread, and thought I'd leave my comment here so as not to hijack over there. Love your kitchen, BTW. I'm drawn to green, and can't stop looking at your backsplash (and wondering if I should go ahead and commit to a color for BS, rather than stay safe/neutral). We'll be settling on cabinets over the next few weeks and decided on white until just last night. To your comments about dings and nicks, I've read that 'wear and tear' will show up much more readily on painted white cabinets than, say, a natural finish (or possibly a different color paint?). Wondering if that isn't true across all cabinet companies, and not just Ultracraft. We're looking at Showplace through our GC, but I noticed he's starting to carry Ultracraft.

• xmkx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Javiwa, I did not research whether dings show up more readily on painted white cabinets but I suspect it does. That would be a good question to post on GW. I would definitely be curious. I love my backsplash. It is glass tile. It looks green in the photo but it is more blue in real life. I have blues and greens throughout my entire house so that is why I chose that color. I think if you do a neutral color BS, you would be happier 25 years from now. The kitchen is almost two years old and I do not regret the color choice yet!

• javiwa
    9 years ago

Too much to ask/expect to be happy now AND 25 years from now, eh? ;) May I ask what brand and color BS you have there? TIA. Regarding the cabinets, I'm now getting myself into a very dangerous zone: contemplation of a two-tone kitchen with white uppers and I-don't-know-what lowers and island (possibly) -- and questioning how much the tile floor plays into it all. Be looking for a 'help me' post in the coming week!

• xmkx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, definitely not too much to ask. Wondering whether I am going to regret the decision in a couple of years. But I'm happy now! The tiles were by Glazzio. Crystille 4x12. Color is Gray sky glass. Two tone should beautiful and might be great reason to go with a neutral BS. It's difficult to manage all the cabinet colors and tiles. At least for me it is. Just post all of them on GW. The people here are great at giving advice.

• javiwa
    9 years ago

Your kitchen makes me smile. :) Enjoy it.

• Denyce D
    9 years ago

Just finished a big kitchen remodel with UltraCraft cabinets using maple painted white (melted brie) with a chocolate glaze. They look beautiful. I also increased the depth of the uppers to 14" for no charge and it was the smartest thing I did. Huge difference. I loved the fact that I could customize sizes without paying custom charges. My kitchen designer, Gavi Feidler at Kitchens by Wedgewood in Colorado was wonderful to work with too. I will say that there has been some drying out of the doors since install in November and there are discernible cracks now visible in a lot of the door corner joints. I'm just hoping that the drying and movement will stop soon.

• javiwa
    9 years ago

Denyce - Our GC did 'warn' us that the cracking issue with painted cabs is unavoidable -- paint just doesn't have any give to it. We're focusing on a shaker style door, and don't know if shaker lends itself to more or less movement (and, therefore, paint cracking) than other door styles. Hopefully yours are hairline and they don't progress any further. I know there are veteran designers on this forum who can provide more helpful information/advice. Would you mind posting a pic of your cabinets? Would love to see. :) Thanks.

• abick2
    8 years ago

I too chose shaker cabinets painted white. i didnt go with ultracraft, which i really regret now. I freaked out over the hairline cracks on my cabinets at the joints, but sounds like they all get that no matter which brand. No matter how many replacement doors they sent there was a little bit of a crack in one place or another, so I gave up. I think shacker is more prone to that and of course painted cabinets show everything. My island is shacker too, but stained, no issues at all can't see the hairline cracks on stained cabinets.

• remx61
    7 years ago

We had our Ultracraft shaker cabinets installed in Nov of 2015 and we're already having problems with them. We are very disappointed with quality.

The salesman from KitchenExpo recommended we use the MDF rather than plywood construction. Big mistake. The MDF is crap no matter what they say. Bulges at the screws, sagging in long cabinet bases, trash drawer fell off the mount. I cannot recommend them.

Their customer sales person came in and said our contractor could fix it easy. What a joke. Try having a cabinet face, connected to a pull out trash drawer with 1/2" screws. It won't last.

• Lisa Miranda
    3 years ago

@remx61 are you in NJ?

• Kathy Rickwood
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I am curious to know if you live in NJ too. I am looking to renovate in NJ at the shore and they recommended MDF panel . After seeing your comments now I'm not so sure.

• nskeca
    last year

Any updates to Ultracraft white cabintry and how they have held up? We just did our kitchen and very disappointed so far

• Kathy Rickwood
    last year

I got them recently and love them . Very happy with everything I selected .

• nskeca
    last year

@Kathy Rickwoodany damage on your cabinets when they came in? Most of ours are having to be redone due to lack of paint, damage, dents, chips, blue stripes down the white paint, etc. Curious if just ours.

• Kathy Rickwood
    last year
    last modified: last year

There was one cabinet door that the paint was not right on the trim edge, they replaced it immediately. The Corner cabinet was damaaged in shipping and that was also replaced, Nothing major. They have been in place for about 3 months and I"m very happy with everything.

• JJ Mekai
    last year

@Kathy Rickwood your kitchen is beautiful! Love the large window. Which door style and colors did you choose?

• xmkx
    Original Author
    last year

@nskeca, ours aren't holding up very well either. Ultacraft is supposed to have a 99 year guarantee, have you tried reaching out to the company?

• Barrheadlass
    last year

99 year gurantee! i have 20 year old Ultrcraft cabs and they are in terrible shape. Will look into this!

• xmkx
    Original Author
    last year

Please keep us posted on how the company responds!

• nskeca
    last year

@xmkx the local sales rep is supposedly having his touch-up team come out to fix all the damaged fronts once approved. They were all replaced and many of them still came in with concerns. The designer has been helpful in making this happen. Sales rep said Ultracraft warranty applies to ’structural’ concerns. What are the concerns with your cabinets? Do you have pictures?

• nskeca
    last year

@Barrheadlass what are your issues with yours?

• Barrheadlass
    last year

Delaminating, peeling…

• nskeca
    last year

@Barrheadlass are you able to share pics? are they maple too?

• Barrheadlass
    last year

No, they are phony wood laminate.

• Grag Grag
    11 months ago

Very disappointed with our ours. White uppers, what was sold as maple (but is actually a veneer) lowers. “Wood” finishes don’t match from one cabinet front to another. The finish is easily damaged on the “wood“ and the white looks cheap. Not at all equivalent to the price they charge.

Our contractor: ”I don’t understand - this is supposed to be a high quality product.”