SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
todd43162

Just moved into an older mobile home

todd43162
16 years ago

Hi everyone I am new to this forum. I could not find any forums hardly at all for mobile/manufactured homes. This looks like a good site so here it goes.

I am living in a park in a 1967 Vagabond mobile home. It was very inexpensive(only a couple thousand dollars) and I need to move because of financial problems stemming from an illness.

The mobile home is small-about ten feet by 52 feet with a pull out section for the living room that is about 7 feet wide and 13 feet long..so the whole thing is maybe a little over 600 square feet. It has a raised porch that is 7 by 13, a covered patio that is 7 by 26, and a storage shed maybe 6 by 5 attached to the covered patio.

It hss the original paneled walls(in good condition), new appliances, new carpeting, and is in good shape inside and out(I cleaned inside and out and painted most of the outside before I moved in). I also did some landscaping(taking alot of plants from my old house with me)..putting alot in containers or raised beds(so I can take them with me if I leave here).

The reason I am posting is because I have heard so many negative things about mobile homes-especially older smaller ones-and this is the oldest and smallest in the park I think. I am really surprised that I like it alot, and it feels like a real home to me. It is designed well, lots of storage(the second bedroom was converted into a small multipurpose room with xtra storage) and is easy to take care of.

The lot fee is only about 265 a month, the park is clean and well maintained, there is good parking(2 spots for me), I am on a corner so I have only one immediate neighbor to my east(road to the south and west, parking lot for the park office to the north. alot of trees and space around it too. Friendly people..mostly retired around me, a few working people..not very many kids.

I was wondering if anyone had any comments, advice, etc. about this place. It does seem to be a little hard to heat, but since it is so small I am paying WAY less than the house I had. The lot fee, taxes, utilities, etc. are all less than the mortgage(without taxes and insurance) alone was. The place is nice, I intend on finishing the painting and doing some more landscaping, etc. I really like it especially given what I would have expected from such a small older mobile home. Even the bathroom is better and better designed than the one in the house I had. I furnished the place with my own(rather good) furnishings and I think it is pretty great actually-seems like a cozy cabin or something. And I actually LIKE the wood paneling-wall coverings, window treatments, picstures and furniture cover much of it anyway.

I just wanted to post this and see if anyone had any comments, advice, experience etc. to share since I am new to mobile home living. Does anyone know anything about this type, style, or year of mobile home?

Would appreciate any comments. thanks.

Comments (12)

Sponsored