SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Which Bosporous fabric?

User
15 years ago

I've been eye balling this Bosporous fabric for awhile now. I finally was able to make a kitchen valance My3dogs style and almost a year later it's time to put something in this bathroom.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Everything looks pretty much the same. Walls are still white (will be painted at some point), I have a white plastic liner up right now because I couldn't even pick out a shower curtain. The floor is a grayish color, counter is white with gray. I find myself leaning toward warm colors so I've been very stumped with this room.

{{!gwi}}

Which of these fabrics do you think would work better?

{{!gwi}}

I know someone is going to maybe suggest making a shower curtain but I don't believe I'm skilled enough to take on that yet. I sew occasional buttons.

Comments (33)

• furletcity
    15 years ago

Both fabrics are gorgeous! I'll show my ignorance of all things fabric, but what does Bosporous refer to? Is it a manufacturer or a type of fabric treatment or something else entirely? I think the beautiful blue background of the first fabric would complement the gray of your floor and counter.Although now that I'm looking at them both again, the second one has a little blue/gray in it also.Truly, they're both really pretty! I wish I could sew!!

• furletcity
    15 years ago

I'm back. Would you be able to sew a valance for above/over a coordinating shower curtain? That would look nice.

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

The first one. With such a neutral palette the richer colors would be great.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Furletcity - Haha. I have no idea what Bosporous means. I thought it was the name of that particular fabric. I first discovered it on here seeing it covering Texashottie's chairs and Reno_Fan's bathroom redo. My aunt was the one who had to show me how to work my sewing machine so I'm sure I could have her help me with sewing a coordinating shower curtain top/valance.

My thoughts were the first one but I wanted some other feedback. I wish I could see a better pic of the second fabric.

• tinam61
    15 years ago

Bosporous is the name of that particular toile print - if I am not mistaken, Covington is the maker. I have a sample of the flax (the one in lighter shades).

I personally like that second one, but it would all depend on the paint, etc. you use in the room. Really though, I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

Sheesharee, don't sell yourself short. If you made that valance, you could handle the shower curtain. Especially if you just did a straight curtain - you could even hang it with clip rings (or the sew on variety) rather than having to use buttonholes, etc. You'd have to piece the curtain for width, but two seams, hem top, bottom and sides, that's about it. I bet you could talk your aunt into it. LOL

tina
    tina

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

I also really like the flax. I could see it working for a valance for the three windows in my office. Where are you purchasing yours, shee? Does anyone have a sample they could send me?

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I like the subtle colors of number two. Especially for that room, which is subdued. But frankly...with either it would be hard to go wrong.

• pinkpowertools
    15 years ago

#2. and once you get your fabric you will get a lot of inspiration for wall color and accessories.

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

I like both a lot, but am partial to #1. I think it depends on what else you plan on using in this room. #1 would look best with some darker accent colors to balance the darker tones in this fabric. You can easily do this with the rug your choose, the matting and framing of your art work, towels, etc. I love the idea of using the fabric for a shower curtain, too. They're both yummy choices, though.
    Lynn

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will say I have some solid red/crimson and dark navy towels I would like to keep but I could always buy other colors if need be. Looks like both those colors are in both fabrics. Now I'm torn! haha

Val - I was going to order from housefabric.com They do have samples you can order! I saw some on ebay too but it all looked about the same price.

Here is a link that might be useful: House fabric

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh I also wanted to write..

Tina - I didn't know how you'd piece the fabric together because of it being a pattern. My Aunt really did surprise me with all that she has made etc. I'll have to call her and see.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

one more...

here's a wider shot of the fabrics

The 128
    {{!gwi}}
    This is the 137 from two different ebay pics. I don't think they look the same. Anyone know which one is more accurate?
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• jesemy
    15 years ago

Bosporous comes in many different colorways doesn't it and they are all so pretty! Personally, I like the second, more muted one of the two that you are considering but I really like to soft tones in the Flax colorway for your bathroom. It would be soft and soothing.

Nancy

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

I love all things toile, especially Bosporous!

The fabric store where I bought my bathroom fabric had all of the above prints.

The top print (in person) is very bright. It was too bright for me. It almost looked cartoonish. The blues are *very* vivid in that one.

I love love love the flax print, and the second one you posted. If you want crisp, bold, vibrant colors, then the first fabric would make you happy, but if you want a more muted toile, then I'd stick with the second fabric, or the blue on blue flax color.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

2nd it is! Thanks everyone!

• jesemy
    15 years ago

Sheesharee,

Let us know how it comes out!

• mldao
    15 years ago

They're both very pretty. My choice would be for the 2nd fabric. After looking at the valance you made for your kitchen I'm positive you can make a valance for your shower. You could buy a shower curtain and attach a simple valance using curtain clips. I'll take a super close up picture of my DR valances to show you what I had in mind for your shower. I'll try to post it later on today. My desktop is still on the blitz and this laptop isn't being very cooperative.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mldao - Never thought about curtain clips. I was trying to figure out how I was going to do the top.

Reno - You made your shower curtain right? I was checking around last night about how to sew a shower curtain and I kept reading how if there's a patteren you should cut a middle section and piece together the sides?

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

wanted to add

Mldao - Yeah, when you get a chance post a pic of your DR valances.

• tinam61
    15 years ago

Yes, that's what I meant when I mentioned the clip rings or there is also a sew on variety.

You are right. You would have one center section which wider and then two side sections so there would be two seams instead of a seam down the middle. You match the pattern on those two seams. I think someone once posted sewing instructions for a duvet/duvet cover, it's basically the same (meaning the top piece of the duvet cover).

tina

• tinam61
    15 years ago

Here are some directions - see the 5th paragraph - that is what I meant about the two seams and matching the fabrics.

Also, it states the size of a shower curtain is usually 72 x 72. I like them a bit longer, but that's up to you.

Here is a link that might be useful: sewing a shower curtain

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

well, I'm late to the vote, but I also vote #2. It will look perfect with your counters that have the cooler gray.
    I have several samples of that same fabric. I'm wanting to do roman shades in my laundry room with the bold red/brown one, but can't seem to make myself tackle trying to sew them myself. I just haven't sewn much, and the roman blinds seem a bit daunting. :o-
    Great choice. Can't wait to see your finished bath!! :o)

• saltnpeppa
    15 years ago

Shee,
    I'm late, too. I think my chairs are the 2nd fabric....I have also used this fabric in my guest bedroom & working on a shower curtain for guest bath - I don't sew!! I took an old shower curtain - split it in half & put a full 54" panel of the Bosporus fabric in between 2 panels of 20'" old curtain - does that make any sense? I just had my neighbor sew the seams for me.

I plan on using clip rings - didn't want to ask for too much! I am also making a valance out of the exsisting old shower curtain & bosporus fabric.
    Here are the chairs....& I could so see the Silver Sage paint color with this fabric!! I would do my guest bed/bath but am working around tiles/exsisting silk bedskirt & shades.

Smiles:)

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Totallyblessed - Roman shades sound difficult to make. I was so proud I made the simple valance!! ha. Make sure you post pics when you get them made.

Scooby - Did you recently have those chairs covered or were they like that for awhile? Love em. What do you mean when you say.. " 2 panels of 20'" old curtain - does that make any sense?" Like a coordinating curtain? Where's your pics? :(

Ok here's something else I've been tring not to think about. This is my master bath. I've always heard on here your bath should coordinate/match with your bedroom stuff. Is this really the case? You won't be seeing my bedroom until we buy a new furniture that matches better and I get new bedding. Carpet is cream. Right now it's light blue damask (has golds and creams too) and while I like it, I'm starting to tire of it and I'm on a very big red, green, gold kick. The rest of my house is following that patteren as well. So I'll be getting new bedding too but what would you even coordinate with that? I'm not going to have some custom comforter made with that fabric. Maybe a pillow or something.

• tinam61
    15 years ago

I don't think you need to match - just coordinate your colors.

tina

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

I will probably have to have mine made if I want those roman blinds. I just don't "get" the directions in the drapery "how to sew them" for dummy's book I bought. I must be a REAL dummy. :o) LOL!

And I agree with Tina, no need to match. Just coordinate colors between bath/bedroom. You can pull some of your bedroom colors from you bath/vice-versa.

Your ideas sound great. And even if you have to do it little by little, the planning is half the fun! Enjoy. ;o)

• brutuses
    15 years ago

sheees, they are all so pretty. I can only suggest that you keep in mind the paint color you think you may chose in the future. One of m3d's valances would be beautiful. I just love those.

My bedroom color does not match my master. They are both soft pastels, but don't match. I go back and forth on should they or shouldn't they match. For me, it's already decided. LOL When I was making my decision on whether they should be the same color, I asked it here and the response was 3-1, not matching. I guess it comes down to a personal preference.

• mldao
    15 years ago

Here are a few pictures of my DR panels. This is a great way to get a custom look without the custom price. After seeing your valance this is a walk in park for you. The valance and panels are not sewn together, they're both attached just using the ring clips. I dont' know how to make my pictures smaller so please excuse their size.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Totallyblessed - I doubt I'll buy that sewing book then! I wondered if it was helpful. I'm more of a hands on person. Words tend to bounce off my head when I read instructions

Bru - Definitely going to make the valance. I think I'll go with coordinating colors and now matching. My thoughts are they're separate rooms.

Mldao - That's a neat way to hang a valance. I could probably handle that. Hopefully! So the shower curtain liner would just clip too? All three with one clip ring?

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

mldao~ Did you add little velcro pieces between the sheer and the valance fabrics? In looking at that photo above, I couldn't quite tell.
    It's beautiful. I love that valance fabric. You're motivating me. Now I'm thinking maybe I should do a valance and a sheer, rather than just fabric panels in my office. I honestly had NOT thought of that option. LOL! I guess sewing is a bit scary to me, but I do sew a bit, so I think I could handle some like yours shown. Thanks!
    Shee~ I am the same way. I have a college education even, so it's not that I can't learn. But reading directions in a book just makes me go "duh!! HUH????". :o) Definitely a hands on learner here too. :o)

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

mldao~
    Is there any chance you would post a full photo of your drapes? I'd love to see them full length from a distance. Just if you don't mind sharing. I have an entirely new idea running thru my head now, based on what you did. Oooh, I'm loving it!! :o)
    Thanks. :o)

• brutuses
    15 years ago

bumping up in hopes mldao sees and post response as I'm curious too about the curtains and how they are put together.

• mldao
    15 years ago

Sheesharee: Purchase a double shower rod and put the shower liner on the inner rod. A friend of mine purchased hers from Linen-N- Things 8 years ago. I wish I knew how to add website links. I found what I'm talking about on Amazon. The outer rod will hold the shower curtain and valance using ring clips. This also ensures that you don't put a lot of stress on your shower curtain and valance.

Totallyblessed & Brutus: I'm glad this was bumped or I would have missed it. I've been frantically trying to recover data from my crashed hard drive and it's slowly driving me insane. Panels and valance are held together by the ring clips and nothing else (no velcro). I purchased the panels 8 years ago from Restoration Hardware and I think the term for what they're called is rod-pocket. They were originally in my LR and got repurposed for my DR. The valance was made from left over fabric used to re-slipcover my parson chairs. I did not sew the valances; I can't draw a straight line let alone sew one. I saw how these were made and it took less than 30 minutes. She folded and stitched all four edges. She then attached the fringe using the same straight stitch and voila! The trickiest part is figuring out how many ring clips you'll need to achieve the most flattering pleat effect for your panels. I don't know how to shrink my pictures so please forgive their size. If you're still confused let me know, I can take the panels down and click a few shots of them seperately.