SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnnieb_dc

Have 27' stacked washers/dryers gotten deeper?

JohnnieB
12 years ago

I figured this would be easy but noooo. I have a rental unit with a Maytag stacked washer/dryer combo that is at least 15 years old (we've owned the property for 11 years and it wasn't new then) and needs to be replaced. Can't complain about that, it did its job with no problems whatsoever for all that time. It pretty much fills the closet, which is 28" wide, 73" high and 31" deep. The unit is 27" wide, 72" high but I'm not sure exactly how deep as it is wedged in and difficult to pull out--but it must be something less than 31" to accommodate the dryer duct. Right????

Here's the problem: I would like to replace it with another 27" unit but every unit I can find in that size is 31-32" deep and there's no way they will fit in that space and still leave room for the dryer duct behind it. I guess we could make more room by leaving the door off the laundry closet, but it's in the kitchen and these things are pretty darn ugly and noisy. The alternative is to replace with a 24" wide unit (which tend to be 27-28" deep), but having used one of these in the past I know these are tiny and really inadequate.

Any suggestions??? Oh and BTW there is only a single 220V outlet available. Because anything else would have made it too easy.

Comments (4)