SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alviec

Buying a mobile home?

alviec
17 years ago

They call it a manufactured home. Only becasue they changed the wording when they established the manufactured housing standards act. It is still a mobile home.

If you decide to buy a mobile home, I suggest you check out all applicable State and Federal laws. Why? Because the retailer, installer, manufacturer, and State know what they can get away with when you buy a mobile home.

Recently in a survey of one retailer in Austin Texas, I have personally talked to 11 consumers who did not even know they had the right to file a complaint against the retailer who either refused to perform warranty work and blamed the consumer for the problem. Of these eleven consumers, only one was satisfied with the work performed by the retailers goonies. And he admitted that he just didn't want to mess with it anymore. Sad isn't it.

READ EVERYTHING YOU SIGN. Make a list of warranty items to be addressed within the first thirty days and send a copy via registered mail to the reatiler and manufacturer. If not you will get caught up in a "loop" they like to put you in. Until your warranty period runs out a year later. And don't forget to check the "installation" report sent to the state. Find out how they say they installed your home versus what you know how they installed it. You will be surprised at the information you request from the agencies the retailer and manufacturer submitted. Even if you get an FHA loan. The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) allows you to botain this information. The paperwork I have and the paperwork HUD and the State of Texas have are different. The information the retailer submitted to HUD was falsified.

All you have to do is just look at my property and you can tell that.

However, as a consumer, you are looked at as a "isolated" incident and you will not win a complaint or even get HUD to look at the problem. The State will tell you that there is nothing they can do or that is is out of their jurisdiction. You don't have to belive me. Wait until you can't get your problems with the warranty work done and you want to complain.

The retailers, manufacturers all know how to work the system and you do not stand a chance when it comes to getting the work performed. Or they will send someone out to your home and cause an even greater problem that you originally had.

If you would like to see photos of our Cavco home that was badly damaged by the reatiler and manufacturer, I will gladly provide them to you.

STAY AWAY from MANUFACTURED HOMES. THEY ARE POORLY CONSTRUCTED. THIS IS MY 1st and THIS WILL BE MY LAST IF I CAN EVER SELL IT.

I WILL NOT RECOMMEND AS MOBILE HOME TO ANYONE.

Take a Look a TAISMHO website www.taismho.com

Get a real inside look at what you are up against.

Comments (9)

Sponsored