SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marial1214

Is 73 inches okay for narrow island? Design question

marial1214
10 years ago

I have been a member since about 15 years, mostly on the gardening forum. Where else can you learn everything about a home and a garden?

We are remodeling kitchen: Refinishing oak cabinets that are 20 years old, paint, granite countertops, sink, more pocket lights, cabinet lighting, restaurant faucet, etc.

I am ordering a free standing oak pantry and was going to also order a custom island to match, but when I measured the space I became worried. The walk space through the galley is 73 total inches and there are cabinets on both sides and also dining room opening leading into galley. I put blue tape on floor to show a narrow island measuring 55x26 then found only 24 inches from sink to island, and 20 inches behind island to back cabinets/dining room entry. You gain space at dining room entry because it is lacking 25" depth cabinets there. Now I don't if there is enough space for fixed island. We don't have alot of people coming I to our home and we are a couple only.

Is my only hope now to get the island on casters and move into place when I need it? Is there any hope for one? I was hoping to get a new space to work and to eat a snack and watch the TV which is mounted under cabinet by sink.

You can see on the 2nd pic, the 30-36 inch free standing oak pantry will set where book case is, if I move dog dining area and trash can (to under sink pullout), I can park my island in there perpendicular or even parallel to wall. That entire wall measures 77 inches long. It is 22 in deep.

I would appreciate any help or comments. The home is beautiful A-Frame and it has alot of nice elements inside and outside.

I can only upload one pic, I will post another in the first reply. THX again!

Thanks all! Happy New Year!

Comments (22)