SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweets98

Anyone put new counter tops in?

sweets98
18 years ago

I was just wondering if anyone here has replaced their counter tops with new ones yet?

DH and I want to get new counter tops in our kitchen and it wouldn't cost a whole lot to do so. I just think we're going to run into a problem and he says we won't.

In the last year we replaced the counters and sinks in our bathrooms and both times it required more work than we orginally thought.

In the half bath, DH rebuilt us a totally new vanity because we had to have one the same size as was in there because it was custom built for the pipes underneath. For the top, we bought the smallest section of kitchen countertop they had at Lowe's and a new sink. We ended up cutting the back part off of the counter because the vanity wasn't as deep.

Last week DH installed a new one piece sink and vanity top in the other bath. We picked up the top on clerance at Lowe's and could not pass up the deal. So it seemed easy enough. Wrong...turned out the top was an 1" too short. They don't even make the size we would have needed anyway. So for now we have a gap on the one side and later on DH will rebuild us a new vanity for this bathroom, too. The other issue he came across was that he had to removed the two pieces they used to make a vanity and cut a new side because the sink had to sit out further to fit in the drain pipe.

So I'm just thinking...it's going to take a LOT more work for the kitchen, too. I know we can find a way, though. Just wondering if others had any experiences with this.

Comments (20)

Sponsored