SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theresse_gw

If stainless counter in period kitchen, what color appliances?

theresse
14 years ago

Hi AGAIN! ;)

It looks as if I'm getting a stainless counter put into my medium-sized (leaning toward small) kitchen, in my 1913 house. I want it to be a fairly period kitchen, excluding appliances. It will have a white Shaws farm sink and gooseneck faucet most likely, white original cabinets, wooden floors and the white island will have a wooden edge-grain top to warm things up and keep the room feeling older.

I've wanted stainless appliances ever since the craze started, but now I'm wondering if that will be too much stainless w/ the stainless counter. The only appliance near the counter would be a dishwasher. On the opposite wall would be nothing but the fridge and furnace's chimney (unfortunately; I wish I could afford to take the chimney out!). On the wall connecting them (which has a doorway to dining room in it) will be a stove (w/ oven below it/built-in)...so not terribly far from the stainless counter though on a different wall.

The idea of upgrading to more white sort of depresses me, and at the same time stainless appliances are getting tiresome to a lot of people these days. The only company that makes colored appliances doesn't have great reviews, and black feels too dark.

Does that mean my only options are a fresh, modern white (e.g. french door style fridge), or else the kind w/ a panel on the front (meant to look like the cabinets)? Can you paint those kinds?

I really like the look of white w/ stainless handles, however only one company makes those (Fridgidaire?) and I'm luke-warm about that company.

Suggestions? PIcs? Thanks!

Comments (7)