SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Domestic soapstone or soapstone alternatives? Ecotop, others?

artemis78
14 years ago

We're on the hunt for counter materials, and I'm really stuck---wondered if anyone has any thoughts on something I'm missing here! Ideally we're going for a soapstone look; we also like wood, but it seems to fail in both the heat and water requirements (though I know you can Waterlox it to help with water).

Our wish list is:

- Relatively low maintenance/no babying needed

- Tolerates proximity to heat and water

- Works with an undermount sink

- Produced or quarried in the U.S. or Canada, ideally West of the Rockies (to minimize shipping)

- Fine with patina but not with materials prone to very pronounced gouges, stains, or cracks

- Matte finish ("nothing sparkly or shiny")

- Bonus points for recycled materials, but not a requirement

Here's the trouble I'm having:

- All of the U.S. and Canadian granite and soapstone seems to come from the East Coast (and thus involves lots of cost and shipping)---I can't for the life of me find any quarries on the West Coast, though I have to imagine there are some??

- I know about Paperstone and Richlite, but both have very mixed track records. I can't find many people who've actually installed Ecotop or Squak Mountain Stone, the other two recycled counters available locally.

- We have poured concrete in the kitchen at work that has cracked and looks pretty terrible.

- Caesarstone used to have a dark matte finish but no longer seems to be making this available (and required you to sign your life way to get it, which makes me think "trouble.")

Is there an obvious solution here that I'm missing, or have we boxed ourselves into a corner with our wish list??

Thanks!

Comments (12)