SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katiee511_gw

Leftover granite from Kitchen Remodel ?'s

katiee511
15 years ago

Little bit of background: we own a 3bd/2ba 1600 sq ft custom ranch built 1982. Some of the home has been updated, but not much. We are in the planning/estimating stage of a kitchen and masterbath remodel. Our GC got our quote back to us this week and our price is about 11K over our stated budget!! Yikes.

Obviously, we can't stretch that far because we have other projects that need to be done and we would end up spending too much over the real estate value of our area.

So, I have been scouring the boards looking for ways to change what we thought we wanted for things we can actually afford and still get that new, updated look. Which brings me to my actual question :) In all my reading here I have noticed people mentioning they used the granite leftover from their kitchen to do their bath vanities !?! The thought never crossed my mind! When we went to the stone fabricators we picked our kitchen stone and then seperately picked our MB vanity marble.

So, now the remodel has to be cut drastically and I am meeting with our GC on Monday to go over the cost details (we only have a rough draft now, not very item specific) and I need to know the right way to ask about the granite that will be left over from our kitchen. We had to get two stones (even though our kitchen is rather small) and how do I ask (intelligently) what happens with the leftover? Do fabricators normally charge for just what you use or do they charge for the entire slab regardless of how much is used?

Since our MB marble (Rojo Alicante) came in at $1800 just for the top (no sink, no faucet, no undermount charge added in yet) I am seriously looking for an alternative. If there is enough leftover, how are you charged if you essentially "own" the slab anyways?

Thanks for your help explaining this to me!! Every time I think I know what I am talking about, I read another post on here and realise I really don't know much at all!! LOL

Comments (8)