SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mpg2004

a bunch of kitchen appliance questions - color, type, etc...

mpg2004
12 years ago

Hi,

I would love some advice here! We purchased a home a few months ago and the 17 year old appliances are in need of updating. We've currently got all black appliances with a stainless fridge. We went to purchase a dishwasher, and found an amazing deal (we can buy Jenn Air cooktop and wall oven and get a high-end dishwasher for free.) So now we're thinking of purchasing all at once, but are struggling with colors. We've got to go with Jennair for the cooktop since they are the only ones who make a 36" downdraft unit, which is what fits out existing space and a total kitchen re-do is not feasible right now.

We currently have a wall oven/microwave combo and are thinking of doing a single wall oven and then a separate convection microwave unit. So... we're thinking of doing the black wall oven with a stainless microwave above it, the stainless fridge (which is staying), and a stainless dishwasher to go with the fridge. The black appliances are on closeout, so the wall oven is about $700 less than stainless. I'm trying to find a way to make the black wall oven work, but don't want to end up with a hobbled together look to the kitchen. Does anyone have any opinions on mixing black and stainless appliances?

Our walls are a deep tomato red, cabinets are medium oak, counters are a mix of baltic brown granite tile & pink laminate (which I'm hoping can go sometime soon!). The black and stainless appliances we have both go well with the other colors in the kitchen.

We want to keep the kitchen looking nice in case we need to sell in the near future (not planning to have to sell, but corporate relocation is always a possibility...)

Would a black or stainless gas cooktop be easier to keep clean? The black I have now is a bear to keep looking clean, but it's got a lot more exposed parts than the current model.

Does anyone know of a double wall oven where one unit is roughly half the size of the other? I really like the idea of a double wall oven, but don't need two FULL size ovens, which is all I seem to be able to find. We are wondering if a convection microwave would be able to do the job of the "half" oven, so we could bake two things at once without having to give up counter space for a microwave. Can you really bake in a convection microwave? I don't want to do much fancy here -- being able to cook a pizza or bake veggies for a side dish would be ideal for us.

thanks for any advice!

Michelle

Comments (6)