SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
olychic

'Damp' rating for bathroom lights

olychic
14 years ago

I found 2 other postings about this which seem to contradict each other. Hoping for clarification and advice. Found my dream vanity bar. It's approved for damp locations. There is a matching sconce and I want to put a pair on the wall spaces between the windows; however, it is only approved for dry locations, which the website says does not include baths. The room is pretty big: 11.5 x 19 with a little less than 1/2 a walk-in closet, but it is a fairly open design. Installing Fantek dual unit: one over jetted tub, one in shower, so this room should NOT really be too damp. I will be the sole user, so the shower and tub will never be in use simultaneously. One sconce would be only a foot out from edge of tub and maybe 5 feet above it. I don't understand what could happen with a fixture used where not rated for damp. Is electrocution somehow a worry? Or will the wires simply corrode more than a damp rated one? Just what should I worry about? Is there any way to damp-proof the sconce? Or should I just use it and plan on replacing sooner than I would have to a damp rated one? Or skip it and figure someone smarter than me figured this out already, hence the damp location ratings? Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Comments (18)