SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smilesesq

Advice for bathroom vanity lighting fixtures for small office?

smiles33
11 years ago

Hello! I know many here are mostly choosing lighting options for home, but I really respect gardenweb experts and thought I'd ask here for advice about new lighting fixtures in my husband's office complex.

He owns a small business and it was last decorated in the 1980s (e.g., ugly fluorescent lighting). There are 2 over-the-mirror lighting fixtures I'd like to replace as part of a larger "refreshing" effort. We are hoping to avoid any major electrical/plumbing work so I'm not going to get the side-of-the-mirror fixtures which I know cast better light.

One of the fixtures is in an alcove and will be on at least 8-9 hours/day while the other one is likely only going to be turned on when someone enters the bathroom. They are adjacent to one another so I figured it might make sense to just get 2 identical fixtures, but maybe it's worth spending a little more on the one that will be on the entire time?

We are on a budget, so I'm hoping to keep the total cost of 2 fixtures between $200-$300. Yet we also want these to last for at least 10 years, at which time he plans to do a major remodel. So please tell me if you think this is unreasonable.

When I started looking at some websites for options, I found plenty of halogen bulb models but I've read here already that those can get hot and use a lot of energy. I looked at lampsplus.com, Amazon, bellacor, etc. I immediately ruled out the traditional styles, as I don't think they look "professional" enough in an office setting. Contemporary seems to make more sense but I'm just not sure what I should be prioritizing when reviewing all these options.

Any and all advice would be much appreciated!

Comments (3)