SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vatmark

Moldy Fisher-Paykel washer-anyone else have this problem?

vatmark
15 years ago

Never again will we buy a Fisher-Paykel washer. We bought the Eco Smart 6 years ago. A few years went by and the whole laundry room was starting to smell weird. I also started noticing black specks on the clothes when taking them out of the washer. I looked at all the areas I could see without taking the washer apart and cleaned what ever I could find. That did nothing. We decided to take the washer apart to see if we could figure out where the smell and specks were coming from. We got the drum out and to our horror it was covered in mold and slime. Not just a little. Chunks of it. The little holes in the drum were clogged up with mold. It was the most nasty thing. My husband carried it into our shower where I proceeded to scrub the whole thing down. We put it all back together. Well fast forward to 8 months later. Again we find ourselves going through this process again. It is a 3 hour ordeal. Getting the thing apart, cleaning it,then having to clean the shower and ourselves, getting it back together.

My sister has a Fisher-Paykel washer as well but she bought hers a few years after we bought ours before we knew about this mold issue. She had the same mold issues happen. Neither of us use liquid fabric softner.

Has anyone else who owns one of these machines opened their up to see if they have mold?

I just thought I would share my story to warn others about issues with these machines.

I posted a picture in the gallery of what the drum looks like. This was from just today. When we cleaned this the first time it was even worse.

Comments (28)