SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

Input Needed on DD's Bedroom Makeover

Valerie Noronha
14 years ago

I'd like some feedback on plans for my 8-year-old DD's bedroom makeover. DD and I have a vision in mind and are working out the details. Color scheme will be aqua walls, white trim, some type of low pile carpet, a white iron daybed w/ popup trundle and painted white furniture. Her room is tiny so furniture needs to be chosen carefully.

Here is what her room looks like now:

I'm hoping to find all the furniture I need on CL and painting everything white. I already rescued this cute little desk chair from my neighbor's curb.

First off, what is involved with repainting furniture and is there anything in particular I should steer away from? Do I need to strip/sand down everything? I don't want to paint it all only to have it peel/chip in 1-2 years, particularly the desktop.

Here are some of the pieces for sale right now on CL I am considering. Please let me know what you think of them. Other option would be to just paint the current dresser.

nightstand (love this, but there is only one for sale. I was thinking of getting two nightstands for either side of the daybed which I would center under the window).

These next three items are all for sale individually or group. Presently painted sea foam. Not sure if the color would work with DD's color scheme or do mix-match with white furniture. Could be cute, but let's assume now I'd be repainting including the desktop as I don't like the painted/stained combo:

This dresser looks like it would work well with the desk above:

I am going back/forth on whether I should get a desk with a hutch. My older two highschoolers already have computer desks with hutches, but they seem to be mostly used as a dumping ground as they prefer to do their homework lounging on their beds and with laptops they don't need to be tied to a desk. She definitely needs the storage drawers though for all her art/school supplies.

DD and I have already picked out the bedding and WTs which I will show later after I get my rug and paint samples.

Still looking on CL for the ideal iron daybed with trundle. I do have one concern about the daybed and that is whether or not I need to worry about lead based paint.

I was thinking of centering the daybed under the window so that I could put decorative panels (already purchased) to either side instead of doing a valance type WT. Then I'd do either 1-2 nightstands to either side which would fill that wall entirely. If I were to do just one nightstand, not sure what I'd put on the other side.

Comments (16)