SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
geobrick

Opinions on Cree LR6 (reliability, etc)

geobrick
14 years ago

I have 79 six inch cans in my house. Only about half currently have an active 45 or 50 watt halogen PAR38 bulb installed (we just donÂt need that much light). I've tried Fluorescents in the past but I never liked them for several reasons and their reliability is questionable (The electronics fail and in several cases the glass surround came loose with one crashing to a counter top).

I've been waiting for LEDs for home use for years when I finally discovered the Cree LR6 retrofit bulbs which seem perfect for what I want. (IÂm paying about 27 cents a KWh averaging taxes tiers etc).

I recently bought one to sample (an Edison base 2700k color temp). It was extremely easy to install and I was very impressed with its light output and distribution (a nice and even flood). At first I thought the color tone was too red compared to the Halogens but the next time I turned it on, it was either whiter or I just got used to it. I will probably try a 3500k for comparison. In general, I think I normally prefer the way warmer (2700k) incandescent look but I want to be sure before I buy such a large quantity of LR6s.

But to get to my real question, what are your opinions on their expected reliability? They are solid state devices with circuitry to control power to the LEDs. ArenÂt these electronic components just as susceptible to failure as those found in CFLs? Does CreeÂs 50,000 hour life include all the components in the circuitry or just the LEDÂs themselves?

Another thing to consider is what would happen if there were a power surge from an electrical storm or whatever else causes them? How about frequent on/off cycles from kids playing with a switch?

Please share your thoughts, facts and opinions.

Comments (17)