SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
try_hard

Pros and Cons of stacking?

try_hard
16 years ago

Good morning! I am in the midst of having a house built and will need a new front-loading washer/dryer set. I have about 3 months before I need to buy it so I've started researching models, features, etc. So far I love the LG Steam w/d. Intrigued by the Kenmore competing models, too.

I've read many posts on this site and have become increasingly interested in the stacking idea. Stacking would give me extra space in the laundry room for storage and more countertop space. My laundry room is on the first floor (concrete slab and tile floor), connected to the master closet, and it's just me and DH - no kids.)

As I said, I've read many of the posts about this but have yet to find a simple Pro/Con list about stacking. Could anyone contribute their experiences to such a list?

I'll give it a go based on what I've read and some common sense:

Con:

1. Cannot fold laundry on top of the machines.

2. Control panel for dryer might be too high for some people.

3. You may have to move your water/gas/elec hookups if they are placed for side by side units.

Pro:

1. May free up some room for extra countertop or storage, helpful when you have a small space or when you'd like to create room for additional storage.

2. Easier to see into the dryer when it's right in front of your face.

3. Probably will not need to pay for a pedestal, since stacking units will be more stable on the floor.

I would appreciate any additions to this list.

try_hard

Comments (14)