SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
divamum_gw

What do you like best about your new kitchen?

divamum
16 years ago

As we get to a stage where we can actually see light at the end of the tunnel (as well as coming from the appropriate fixtures!), I realise that certain things are "jumping out at me" as just wonderful, wonderful successes. So, what are your favorite things about your new kitchen, the things which make you smile when you look at them, or when you think, "Dang that makes life easier to live!"

For me:

Aesthetic:

My backsplash tile. I was completely clueless when I first started hunting for a backsplash and, even worse, the first things I saw that appealed to me were wayyy outside our very limited budget. Then by idiot accident I stumbled over a new line of mini-brick, mesh-backed tile at Lowes (which I notice has since sold out at my two local stores - obviously I'm not the only one who liked it!). I ADORE it. It warms everything up and gives the kitchen just the "always been there" kind of feeling I wanted for my 1928 house.

Functional:

The 36" corner lazy susan base cabinet. I had NO idea those things held so much, were so robust, or so easy to use. It's the wooden supersusan from KM thus no pole to block the shelves, and it has swallowed all my pots and pans on one shelf and most of my small appliances on the bottom. Every day when I go to get something I just think "woohoo!" since I can put EVERYTHING away for the first time evahhhhh....

I've spent soooo much of my life in rentals (and not just "rentals" but Foreign Country rentals where "convenience" was so far down the list of attributes that it's almost funny!) that these little things seem like huge luxuries to me. We just got the garbage disposal hooked up - first time I've had one since I was a teenager in CA - and I just smiled. I'm sure that I'll feel the same when the DW goes in. It may only be 18", but that's 18" more than the NO dishwasher I've had my entire adult life!

Anyway, just had to gush. What do you like best about YOUR new kitchen?

Comments (26)