SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moissy_gw

Window and trim stain color

moissy
16 years ago

We are building a home and need to choose interior window and trim stain. I would like something light in color. Our windows themselves are pine wood and have yellowed quite a bit in tone since installation a year ago (they're still unfinished). We are using red oak for the window trim and baseboard. I'm having a hard time trying to choose a stain or two stain colors to tie both the pine and oak together.

I stained several sample pieces and had been leaning toward Zarr Honey Maple --which is kind of a goldish tint -- for the oak and staining the actual windows "natural" since they are already goldish and thought they would end up similar in tone.

Our actual lumber for the window trim and baseboards has now come in and I see there is a wider natural variation in the wood -- with some of the oak pieces leaning more toward red...so the goldish stain appears pink on a test sample....which I'm not crazy about.

Of course I am obsessing about this and DH says, "Just choose something." :.) Any suggestions? Thanks!

Comments (2)