SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ecdiskin_gw

Need Advice for Lighting kitchen island

ecdiskin
14 years ago

We're gutting the 12 x 12 kitchen space and opening it up--both to the dining room (9' opening) and what is now the pantry and entry to sunroom. Because of steel beam issues, it won't be a flush ceiling. (and the pantry ceiling is about 5" lower) We'll have headers into the new space, framed out. So my issue is with lighting the island. It'll be 8 x 3.5 and about 1 foot of that is into the (now pantry) space. The range and a decorative hood will be centered on the original kitchen wall--and will be a focal point. My architect recommends pendant lighting to highlight the island and several cans, but my concern is that with the ceilings divided, it might be strange to have pendant lighting that isn't centered in the room...it (or one of them) would be just a foot from the header into the pantry space and they would not have any symmetry with the range hood. I'm wondering if it might be better to just have 4 period ceiling lights centered in the 12 x 12 space instead of all the cans and pendants (it's a 1928 house)...opinions? I'm sorry if this is confusing. I wanted to post the design plan but can't figure it out.

Comment (1)