SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blindstar

compact fluorescent application?

blindstar
16 years ago

We are working on a new build and now I have come to lighting. We are old enough to require high light levels in work areas. My current concern is the kitchen. The lighting in my existing workshop was designed to give me about 70cf on my work surfaces. I know that is a little higher than what is recommend for kitchens, but I would like to shoot for that level on the kitchen counter tops. (9Â ceilings, 36" countertop).

I want to use recessed compact fluorescents for part of the lighting solution. We are not in CA so there is no legal constraint, however low operating cost trumps one time cost for us. I have searched past threads on the topic and I have also been reviewing manufactures wet sites. I have leaned al lot, but could really use some help in understand what I am reading.

Is it reasonable to try for this light level using CPF cans and florescent under cabinet lighting? It seem that 6" housings like this using (2) 26W 4 Pin DTT bulbs could get me there. Would this work in a residential application?

One poster stated that horizontally mounted CPFs are more efficient. Is that sill true with evolving bulb technology?

I want to be able to back the light level down when it is not required. Is it more efficient to use dimmable electronic ballasts as opposed to multi bulb fixtures and wiring that allows combinations of bulbs/cans to be energized?

Thank you for your help.

Comments (3)