SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eliotvale

How to light post and beam - dark wood ceiling

eliotvale
16 years ago

I am at a loss at how to light the interior of my post and beam house - the entire first floor has wood ceilings - I want to keep the dark color of the wood but somehow need to add lighting. Walls are all plaster. With post and beam - there is only a few inches between the first & second story so there is no room for recessed lighting. And there is no electrical wiring currently in the ceiling. Floors upstairs and down are hardwood - there is no access to the ceiling.

Some have suggested to me carving out some of the wood to hide lighting - but all the beams are structural - doesn't seem like a good idea.

I would like to avoid an ugly conduit across the ceiling. Not sure if wire molds can be done in an attractive way or soffits. Wall Sconces - would they have enough light and again the wire mold wiring issues. If I just use floor & table lamps I'll have a network of cords to deal with an no outlets remaining.

I'm looking for suggestions...thank you!

http://photos.gardenweb.com/home/galleries/2007/07/post_beam_home_wood_ceiling.html

Comments (7)