SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andreak100_gw

4' vs 6' can lighting in kitchen

andreak100
11 years ago

Okay, so disclaimer first: I am very lighting-knowledge challenged. I'm reading and trying to learn, but I am a bit over my head on this.

To start, we are probably not putting in LED bulbs in the cans immediately due to costs - will switch those out (probably next year).

I had been reading on here that the Cree 6" are the preferred LEDs to go with. So, that's what my ultimate plans were, which means I need 6" cans to start with.

When our GC was over last evening (to sign contract), we got to talking lights - he doesn't have much experience at all with LEDs, so he's not a help in that regard and it seems he would be happier if I weren't being difficult about wanting to go that way. ;-)

Anyway, I mentioned that I was planning on ultimately using the Home Depot Eco-Smart 6" lights and he highly suggested that we go with 4" cans instead. He said that he felt the 6" cans looked "old-fashioned" and that we probably wouldn't be happy with them. I can see where they are larger (obviously) and it might be nice to have the 4" can, but there's additional cost involved for more cans, and more cost involved in purchasing more bulbs (plus the bulbs themselves appear to be $10 more for the 4" vs the 6").

We have just a hair shy of 8' ceilings in the kitchen - will the 6" look way too big? Will they look old-fashioned? Is there going to be a huge difference and I'm going to regret trying to save a few hundred dollars? I know that David here is a big proponent of the Cree 6"; are the 4" as good?

Please help! (P.S. I'll be tackling UC lighting as soon as I have sorted out the cans, so expect additional silly questions in the future...I'm really trying to learn, but with electrical stuff, I know just enough to be dangerous!)

Comments (7)