SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aunttomichael_gw

Would love help updating 70s bathroom for 80 yo mother

13 years ago

Hi,

My 80 year old mother is moving to an independent living facility about an hour and � north of us, into a one-bedroom, one-bath cottage. The cottage is "unrenovated", meaning that the kitchen and bath are original, from the mid-70s. I am trying to make the place fun and cheery, to offset the general shabbiness of the place. It was reasonably well-designed, with a skylight and wide hallways (to accommodate wheelchairs, I think) but the materials used were builders� grade (if that) and the appliances are old. I think the kitchen and bathroom cabinets are melamine.

There�s a strong 70s sensibility to the place, with finger hole sliding doors in the kitchen, a "built-in" desk in the living room, etc.

My mother likes Scandinavian design, Marimekko, mid-century modern....(although she is not interested in going hard-core Eames, Saarinen, etc.) She also says she loves turquoise, but I am afraid of going with too much color because her current place is decorated in all beige, brown and black.

It�s a rental so I am limited in what I can do. I am also limited by my lack of ability. :-) They will let me paint, so I am thinking of going with a black, brown, turquoise/aqua and lime green color scheme. I think I will paint the kitchen with Farrow and Ball Blue Ground, and "tile" a backsplash with black and white mosaic "peel and stick" tiles. I am also changing all of the hardware to boomerang pulls (Rejuvenation Hardware).

I am really stymied by the bathroom. My first thought was to paint in dark chocolate brown, but there is only one small window in there and I�m afraid it�ll be too dark. I am going to pay to have them replace the toilet with a Toto ADA height toilet (Drake or Ultrmax). I was thinking of a curtain below the sink � but what color? Should I put FLOR tiles on the floor? Should I try to create a barrier between the sink part of the bathroom and the shower/toilet part? I can replace the mirror � but with what?

I would appreciate any ideas. My 12 year old daughter will be spending a lot of time there too, and we�re both pretty depressed about the bathroom.

Here are some pictures. I�ll include some of the rest of the place so you get a sense of what I�m dealing with.

Thank you!

Carol

The kitchen

{{gwi:1554815}}

The "built-in desk" (forgive the mop)

{{gwi:1554816}}

The bathroom

{{gwi:1554818}}

{{gwi:1554820}}

{{gwi:1554822}}

{{gwi:1554824}}

{{gwi:1554825}}