SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
regfman

lve dimmers for cree cr6 led lights?

regfman
13 years ago

I am not clear on the concept: The CREE CR6 LED light fixtures can plug directly into AC 120V line voltage like an incandescent fixture does. I want to put them on dimmers instead of a simple switch. The electrical distributor where I bought the light has told me that from his experience most of the electrical contractors use the Lutron DIVA DVELV-300P for this CREE light.

CREE publishes a list of recommended dimmers.

[I'm having a hard time finding the URL to post but you can find the pdf with a web search for "recommended dimmers for CREE"]

I notice the DVELV-300P is not on the CREE list. I have called CREE and the customer support person is only qualified to tell me that the DVELV-300P is not on the list. I have asked her if she knows 1) if it has been tested and been found to not be acceptable or 2) whether it simply has not yet been tested? She does not know so she has forwarded me to someone named Ken but he hasn't responded to messages left on his voicemail. (I'm a little frustrated by that lack of customer support)

A friend of mine says that he has tried magnetic (not electronic) low voltage with the CREE and it flickered.

Two questions:

- how does a low voltage dimmer work with line level? I don't understand the concept. Isn't the dimmer before the voltage step down?

- does anyone have experience with the DVELV-300P ?

Comments (11)