SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kateskouros

help with draperies for breakfast room

kateskouros
11 years ago

i think i found someone to sew drapery panels for the breakfast room, but need some help. the windows measure (for the panels) 128" from top of trim to floor, and 156" wide on the long wall and 141" wide on the left side -or the short wall. i'd like to use a grayish/natural/oatmeal colored fabric, parisian pleated panels, to the floor (no puddle).
1.) i'm not sure what fabric to use. i originally thought i wanted to use 100% linen, BUT: not sure what weight (light, medium or heavy) or if i REALLY want to use all linen or some kind of blend. also thinking these need to be lined, yes? i'm looking for easy care (with panels this size, do i really want to wash them? -how much $$ to dry clean these?) so this is a big consideration. so, what kind of fabric am i looking for? and of course, since this project will easily require 60+ yards, cost is a big factor. i really want to go as cheap as i can without resorting to poly blends.
i was looking into using drop clothes, but i've never come across any examples that looked that professional. i think the drop cloth fabric is just too heavy and stiff - no matter how many times it's washed.

2.) the woman who will make the drapes is very good, but she's never sewed anything for money. i've not spoken with her personally yet, but how much do you think would be a fair price? i will supply everything.

3.) the drapes don't have to close, but i would like them full. do i really need to go triple the width on the fabric?

i'm imagining four panels: one for each end and two for the corner (i'll get one of those rods with a corner connector). any help appreciated ...thoughts in general...?

help. me.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (18)