SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarschlos_remodeler

Hardwood floors question

We have 1980s oak hardwood floors in our kitchen/dining rooms and adjacent hallways/entry. The plan is to remove the dividing wall between the kitchen and dining room and enlarge the opening from the dining room to the family room. When we do this, we will have to remove the existing wood floors and replace them with something. I really want hardwood floors.

My GC wants us to use pre-finished engineered Brazillian cherry from Lauzon. I'm not crazy about using Brazilian woods (isn't that rainforest territory?), and I'm also not crazy about using engineered hardwood as opposed to a solid hardwood because I want something that can be refinished -- I don't want to have to tear it out and start over because it is definitely going to get scratched and the finish will wear (we have two very young kids and a dog). I really love the look of old wide plank pine floors, and love the idea of using reclaimed pine. But if we go that route, I will probably need to contract the floors separately and we'll have to have them finished in the house.

Has anyone else used reclaimed/antique flooring? Who installed it/finished it? Where did you order from? Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of engineered v. reclaimed? TIA!

Comments (14)