SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

Replace my softside water bed with another or get latex?

julieste
10 years ago

Over the past thirty years or so we've had two softside water beds. Obviously, we've liked them. Now it is time for a new bed (and we are also contemplating moving up to a king from a queen). After tons of research, I decided latex was the way to go. But, we still sleep very comfortably on our top-of-the-line, twenty year old, baffled softside waterbed. We've got the kind with two bladders so each person can adjust his or her own side for different comfort levels. So, now I've started to wonder whether we should switch to some other type of mattress when we like what we have. Plus, we are in our mid sixties so wrestling with a mattress to rotate it, move it etc. will only become more difficult as we age.

Granted, waterbeds are a pain to initially set up, and over the years we have had a couple leaks. And, you are supposed to open them up periodically put in conditioner. But, once set up they are ready to go and don't need to be rotated or flipped. Getting them into place initially is a breeze since they are lightweight until filled with water. Want a different comfort level or more or less firmness? Change the amount of water.

Latex sounds quite nice, but getting exactly the right mattress combination for sleeping comfort can be difficult. They are heavy and difficult to rotate and flip.

Is there anyone here who moved from a softside waterbed to a different type of bed and liked it? What would people suggest as far as a bed type to replicate the feel of a good softside waterbed?

Thanks much.

Comments (40)