SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rmcdaniel

Restoring kitchen cabinets?

rmcdaniel
14 years ago

The cosmetic kitchen remodel we had planned has been scuttled AGAIN! Last spring it was delayed by a plumbing disaster ($10,000 worth of plumbing repair when a pipe broke and 21 feet of concrete slab in three rooms had to be dug up to fix it!) and just when things were back on track and we were ready to start this spring my husband came home and announced he was done with the Air Force and wanted to retire in a year (instead of 3 years).

Needless to say I was thrown for a loop. We will now be selling our house in 3 months or so (to move into base housing and save money for the big (scary) transition to civilian life) so the remodeling plans have turned into "fix up to sell." We'll be putting in a new beige-y stone look porcelain tile floor, a new laminate countertop (Brazilian brown "granite" which hopefully will look okay with our white appliances), and a new white enamel sink and oiled bronze faucet.

I was planning to paint the cabinets white but we just don't have the time (my husband is doing most of the work himself). The existing cabinets are wood and in good shape; they just look dirty and dinghy. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use to clean them up and make them look nice again? If I can restore them a bit I can just paint the existing door hinges bronze, too (since they are in perfect condition and an unusual shape) and get oiled bronze knobs and call it good.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (3)