SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sparklingwater_gw

Ceiling lights:updating kitchen/pantry

SparklingWater
12 years ago

Hello. I am new to the lighting forum. I am in the planning stages of a galley kitchen (12'x7') and adjacent eat in pantry (11'x7') update, leaving its basic footprint intact as it works so well. This means new cabinets with ucl's, appliances, sinks yet same plumbing layout for water and gas lines, and utilizing current electrical wiring as much as feasible. There are numerous lights and outlets in both rooms as well as a good amount of unused electrical circuits in the basement circuit box.

The two galley kitchen/pantry rooms are connected via a large open door frame. I posted on the house repair forum regarding the sole window in this linear run, which is above the pantry eating area (east). There is additional ambient window light adjacent to the kitchen (west) and in the adjacent dining room (south). I am plannning under-cabinet lighting (there are fluorescent lights under each cabinet uppers now so circuitry is there already), first time recessed lights and probable removal of central hanging kitchen fixture light so as have uninterrupted ceiling height (8'6") to give a taller room feel.

Below is a picture of one of two similar 13"x13" adjacent pantry ceiling lights. These are Kirlin Company, Detroit, MI "flare" lights I believe and have frosted glass fronts which drop down for opening, revealing a 300 W max lightbulb fixture, followed by a recessed area which, when peaking past the top of the metal light box with a flashlight, appears rather deep.

I wish to remove these two separate old lights which are on the same switch and can be dimmed, yet not necessarily change out the electrical but instead modify them. Phillips direct line eW Profile Task lighting was referenced on this forum so I looked around on their site. Phillips-lighting appears to sell a 9"x9" box with four adjustable spotlights as well as modern ceiling lights. I'm wondering about the feasibility of changing these ceiling lights to adjustable spots by modifying their box aperture.

I'm asking for your opinions on the status of kitchen/pantry ceiling lights currently. Are they too old fashioned and best closed off and plastered over and recessed lights placed instead? Any recommendations on additional modern, creative lighting companies which may offer alternatives? To close up two 13"x13" electrical apertures (one rests directly above the beverage bar run and opposite side tall pantry cabinet, and the other near the eating area) to put in recessed lights throughout gives me pause. What do you think? Old house, good layout kitchen, large plot, valued schools, close in to major city. Any modern option ceiling lights/ceiling spot companies? Thank you so very much for your interest and comments.

{{!gwi}}

Comment (1)