SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zagyzebra_gw

Gothic archway lighting challenge

zagyzebra
10 years ago

My two priorities for lighting this archway are to: 1) highlight sculpture or flowers or whatever will be placed on the ledge at the bottom of each niche, and 2) show off beautiful Jerusalem-like stonework inside the archway, pictured on the table.

My electrician says to use line voltage as opposed to low voltage, mainly because of accessibility to the transformer. However, I was told yesterday that the transformer box can be mounted at any distance from the actual light bulb itself, to increase accessibility.

I was considering putting a small spot at the top of each niche, hidden behind detail trim that will go around the edge at the top of the niche. This trim detail will hide the light bulb itself and would spot the flowers on the ledge below. In addition, I was considering adding a couple of recessed lights in the floor (one on either side of the archway) to uplight the stone work. The floor will be hardwood.

So my questions are first, would you go line or low voltage, and second, in either scenario, what kind of lighting would you use and where would you place it? The desired effect is romantic architectural type lighting.

Comment (1)