SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crri0601bekah

Tips to Modernize More Traditional Style Furniture

crri0601bekah
12 years ago

Our living and dining space is combined. This is a new venture for us for a few reasons. We moved from the US to Germany. To say our furniture is oversized for this space would be an understatement. Our old living space was the size of our now living and dining area, if not larger than it. Before, we(I) gravitated toward traditional things and pretty much all new tones. Now I find myself looking for inspiration and leaning toward more and more modern things. I need tips on the perfect marriage of traditional and contemporary modern decor.

Our furniture (couches, dining set) is here to stay. We've put a lot of money into furniture and our meager military budget won't be allowing for any new big ticket purchases for a while. At first I didn't think I wanted to, but everything else is fair game. I am just falling for the fun upbeat color palates that seem to be in my inspirations.

This is our furniture that we have to incorporate.

We have in this set a sofa, loveseat, oversized chair, and ottoman. That's alotta leather in a small space. We still have all of those horrible pillows, but I plan to look into some new covers for a couple to keep on the couches and add some other textures/colors in a couple new pillows. The rest of those hideous pillows (11 all together came with the furniture want to recover 2 or 3, maybe 4) will take up residence in storage for now. As far as we know, it's all stuck on this level, but if anything getting the chair and ottoman out are the best bet. German stairs-1 Americans and their giant furniture-0

This is the dining set we have, minus the leaf and two extra stairs. We also have the arm chairs on the ends.

So. Help? I am going to try and upload photos of the space we have to work with.

Comments (22)