SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teresa518_gw

Need new Shades/Blinds for my whole house

teresa518
10 years ago

Hi. It has been a very long time since I've been on gw and then usually in the kitchens forum. But gw has always been so helpful, I thought I'd give it a try...

I recently had all new windows and two sliding doors installed in my 11 year old home. Along with the windows, we also had new molding installed that I would prefer not to cover.

The existing blinds (were here when we bought the house) and shades were mounted on the inside of the windows (2 1/2" wood blinds in most of the bedrooms and "silhouette" type shades in the living areas and MBR). With the new windows, they won't fit inside and need to be mounted "outside".

With outside mounted window treatments, I need to consider a different type of shade (e.g. cellular or roman) that does not stick out as far as 2+ inch profile of the old ones. I want the same look as the inside mount so I'm expecting to mount the new shades on the molding. Will that look ok?

Here are my questions:

1) because I need to buy for the whole house, I want to keep the cost down so am looking into more budget options. Can you comment on which websites you have used that you've liked? And which ones you have had trouble with?

2) which options have the lowest profile mounting system so that if I mount them on the molding, they will not look like they don't belong there? Does anyone have pictures of this in your home that will help me?

3) do things like bottom up/top down increase the size of the headrail? If you have bottom up/top down - do you like it?

Any and all help is appreciated. I'm planning to get fabric samples to select colors or patterns that work with the rooms but I'm more concerned with how the blinds or shades will look on the outside of the windows. I much prefer the look of the inside mount but it is not an option anymore.

Thanks.

Comments (12)