SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
piscesgirl

Bathroom LED lighting - advice needed :-)

piscesgirl
11 years ago

Planning our Master Bathroom remodel. Room is small (52.5 sq ft). Currently room has two recessed 6" cans with incandescent bulbs placed over a 32" vanity. These lights offers plenty (probably too much) of light for the room, but not ideal placement.

Our plans are for 2 sconces at the vanity, and a recessed shower light.

Thinking of going LED. Have others been going LED in bathrooms? The bathroom doesn't get used a lot (primarily morning). Is the extra cost worth it? I guess my biggest concern is the Lutron light switch (dimmer light/fan combo) doesn't work with LED so that means I have to get a separate switch for the fan...bummer!

Any concerns with using LED for the sconces? We don't have any LED lights in our house so I am curious as to how it is for makeup application. If we go with a 2700k color for the LED light, will we be ok?

Also LED bulbs appear much brighter. Will we be ok with the 2 sconces and recessed shower light (shower is all glass enclosure) I did the calculation online and it states we need equivalent of 79 watts for the room. We could put a light over the toilet but I am thinking this will be overkill and our room will be too bright. Thoughts?

FIXTURE: If going LED - what are the pros & cons of going with an integrated LED recessed light (like a CREE) versus buying a regular recessed light and putting an GU10 LED bulb in it? We are looking at New Construction housing so I am not sure if it makes a difference.

We prefer a 3" white trim can (will settle on 4") but can't find an integrated LED light with 2700k color that is wet and IC rated (CREE is not wet rated).

Thinking of going with standard wet/IC rated recessed lighting fixture and using the CREE 5050 SMD GU10 bulb which equates to a 60 watt halogen bulb. Thoughts?
http://www.lightexports.com/servlet/the-7973/smd-led%2C-5050smd-gu10%2C/Detail

Anyone have any recommendations on on 3" recessed shower lights? The selection seems very limited for 3", and 4" with a much greater selection. Again want white trim, need New Construction, IC rated and wet rated. Confused about trim vs housing and listings online are horrible. They don't tell you if it is IC rated, wet rated, whether it is dimmable (does that depend on the housing or only the bulb?) Not sure what is better - frosted glass, fresel, clear, pinhole, lexon, reflector, etc.

Thanks!

Comments (3)