SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
apinksweater

Question about expanding kitchen into formal dining room

apinksweater
10 years ago

I know the rage right now is to have a large kitchen that flows into the dining area. Right now, my kitchen is big enough to have a table/chairs (though we are a family of 6-so its a bit tight) 16x11, and my formal dining room is only 12x 9 (well, its open to the living room, but 12x9 is the practical dimensions. If I want to encroach to the living room, its more than 12ft).

The problem I run into: My kitchen is *just* big enough for the family to sit. The dining room is just slightly to small to fit my table- its a square table in a rectangle room. So if we have guests I need to pull the table into the livingroom. I want to buy a new set- DH says no (it matches the sofa table/end tables blah blah), and the kids have to sit in the kitchen- usually with me. Makes for disjointed conversations!

Here are my thoughts:
1) Bust the wall out - If I bust into the dining room, the kitchen area will need an island, or something, to make up for the empty space. That would likely mean that I would need to rethink my layout.

2) Get rid of the ugly golden oak (bought when my cabinets were still golden oak) breakfast bar and build a bench against that wall and purchase a round table with a couple chairs and purchase new dining room set.

3) Instead of busting the wall down, cut out and install a breakfast bar/pass through

Here are some images to make this post less vague.
Kitchen:

Wall between rooms:

Dining room

and the kitchen from the other side of the room

Forgive the bad lighting, the sun is setting and the glare was bad!

Thoughts?

Comments (18)