SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
try_hard

room hot when heat is running, cold when not

try_hard
14 years ago

I live in a house in Oklahoma which was built in 2008. We have 3 units for 3 zones:

-1 upstairs zone for the game room;

-1 downstairs zone for the west side of the house which is family room/kitchen/dining area;

-1 downstairs zone for the east size of the house which is bedrooms.

Most of our house has vaulted ceilings.

My question is about the downstairs zone that controls the bedrooms. In the winter, when the heat is blowing, our bedrooms get HOT. Sometimes it's so hot it wakes me in the middle of the night. I look at the thermostat and it registers a temp 1 or 2 degrees warmer than it's programmed to be, yet the heat keeps blowing. Eventually the heat stops blowing and soon thereafter, the bedroom gets really cold. Then it starts all over again.

I'm so frustrated by this. I know very little about heat/ac systems and have had the installing heat/ac company (a large company in my city) over to look at this but they say nothing is wrong. One tech told me to leave the blower fan set to on all the time so that it keeps circulating the air. Another told me to leave the ceiling fan on, but set to summer-time rotation so that it blow the hot air down from the vaulted ceiling. I've started wondering if the problem is the actual thermostat (why does it continue to run if it detects the room is warmer than it should be?)

I don't know what to do or if I even have a problem that's fixable. I would sure appreciate someone sending me some ideas on this. I didn't have this problem in any of my previous homes so I know it doesn't *have* to be this way.

Thank you.

Try_Hard

Comments (6)