SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
richard904

How to best use a long, undersized duct for the dryer

richard904
16 years ago

We have a 40 feet of 3 inch PVC pipe that serves as the exhaust for our electric dryer. I cannot economically re-duct. Except for a 6 foot vertical run the PVC pipe is buried in the ceiling at the lower level of our house, so I do not know how many turns it makes.

I had an e-mail exchange with the FanTech engineers about using their dryer booster fan, but they do not recommend it due to the restrictiveness of the 3 inch PVC. Also, I could not use a "super-fan" since apparently any fan powerful enough to overcome the restrictiveness of the 3 inch pipe would exhaust the air so strongly from the dryer that there would be no heat in the dryer.

I am now thinking of using the "water bath" type lint filters available at hardware stores. This would blow the air directly into the laundry room after the lint is filtered. I could then use the PVC pipe by converting it to a pure exhaust similar to a bathroom exhaust to remove the humid air. There would be no direct connection to the dryer. Further, I could get a dehumidifier for the laundry room to avoid too much moisture build up.

What other options do I have? I could get a condensing dryer as a last resort. I did not want to re-vent since I would have to find a real pro to do this, and I would still have to tear up half of my lower level.

Comments (6)