SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lanat_gw

Would love to see pics of open kitchen

lanat
16 years ago

Hello!

My DH and I are planning to build a kitchen and family room. DH and our architect, who is also my FIL, want to make the kitchen open to the family room. I'm lukewarm to this, but can see the pros of this arrangement. I prefer cozy spaces, rather than large open ones, but this type of setup would make the area seem much larger. FYI the space including both rooms is 16'x 33', with the idea that the kitchen would be 16'x16' and the family room 16'x17'. The kitchen will be u-shaped, an arm of the "u" serving as a peninsula separating the kitchen from the family room. I don't want seating at the peninsula, and will instead have seating on the island in the kitchen.

I would like, however, to have some sort of architectural detail that separates the spaces - either columns or a soffit. Additionally, I want the peninsula to have a half wall hiding the clutter on the counters.

I need help visualizing how the peninsula would look from the family room side. I don't know whether we should put moldings or bookshelves on the family room side of the peninsula.

If you have an open family room, I would greatly appreciate seeing pictures of your kitchen viewed from the family room. I need ideas on how do you create a visual separation between the two spaces and what to do with the peninsula on the side of the family room.

thank you in advance for all of your help!!

Comments (14)