SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shabruo

Need guidance on NEW heat pump or gas furnace installtion

shabruo
14 years ago

Hello,

I am just beginning research and gathering of quotes for an HVAC system in our Oregon home. I am looking for the right questions to ask, and a few pointers from the get-go.

Background info: We live in Oregon where the climate is fairly mild, but does get pretty cold in the winter. Our home is large - 3500 square feet (4500 total with our finished basement, but we've already installed a gas forced air heater in that area, used as a separate living area), and very open architecture (2 story open living room in a hillside home with the outside facing walls being ALL windows - over 50 to be exact!). Built in 1957, the home has insulation challenges and a flat roof, so no attic space for insulation there either. All around, very challenging. To make matters worse, currently in the main 3500 sq ft. area of the home, we have no fixed heating system in place other than electric baseboards, and ceiling heat - very inefficient! In an effort to "solve" this issue, we installed a gas fireplace insert and two pellet stoves a few years back. Now, we can mostly warm the place up, but we get severe cold spots and lots of drafts.

We are now trying to get information on actually installing a heat pump or some sort of forced air system to finally fix the problem - we'd love to take advantage of the tax credits as well.

We've had two companies come out - both well known in the area and reputable. Only one has gotten back to us on a price estimate, which was for gas Goodman furnace and AC unit. The total was almost near $16,000 for a zoned system. Also to keep in mind - when we did some remodeling in the home, we placed about 25% of the ductwork that would needed for a system, so some of it's already done.

Company A told us that his load calc was for a 3.5 ton unit (but we have not yet gotten their final quote). They install and push the Carrier brand. Company B that quoted us for the gas unit was basing the estimate on a 4 ton unit.

Because we have so many challenges with the architecture of the home, the ridiculous amount of windows and open space, and lots of square feet - I'm just not sure what important questions I need to be asking, or what system would be best.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has any instant opinions about gas heating vs. a heat pump in this situation, the size of tonage for the sq. ft. that we are trying to heat (My father thought 3.5 tons sounded way too small, but I'm getting the feeling from the forums that people often install over-sized units which is detrimental to the working of the unit).

Any advice or suggestions on where to begin would be most appreciated. Since we have absolutely no real forced air system to start with, I'm not even sure where to begin!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments (2)