SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vbmama_gw

Help with pulling together a living room with a baby grand

vbmama
10 years ago

Hello all - I've been lurking around but this is my first post. I am hoping the experience can help the newbie here! This is our second home we have owned and just moved about 5 months ago. Our first home I didn't do much "decorating" since I was consumed with raising babies and working full time. I still work but the kids are a little older. This house is also easier to decorate because it's bigger with more possibilities.

Anyway, I am starting in the living room. We didn't have a separate living room before so we had zero furniture for it. I've been wanting a piano for a long time so finally got one! You can kind of see where I am going with this room (ignore the mess and clutter!!) but I am kind of lost in the details now. This room is ending up a tad more formal than I really am but probably because of the piano. I am learning about different styles - I tend to be traditional but I like the rustic/industrial twists.

Most of the house has the light color flooring so I am trying to cool down all the yellow in the house (you can see I am trying out gray in the hall).

The wall color is SW Aqueduct, the chairs are Target, and the rug is Ballard's gray sisal. The music cabinet and gray typing table were Craigslists finds and the artwork came from an antique store. I did cover the piano bench myself. Not sure if the typing table will stay. It was taller than I thought it was going to be. May need different side tables.

I am struggling now with:

1) furniture placement - do I need a loveseat? Where should the furniture go? I had the chairs in front of the windows at first but that leaves three empty corners. I do plan to put in a bookshelf (or two) somewhere but the piano makes the space awkward. The piano needs to stay there since the lid opens into the room and it is away from the windows and floor registers.

2) Curtains - I find myself gravitating to gray again but I think I need something bold that won't compete with the chairs or piano bench (I found Thomas Paul Aviary in Maize but it's expensive. I am willing to make my own curtains although I am a novice)

3) Lighting. There is no overhead light - just lamps that turn on with the switch in the wall. The lamps in here are my old Target/Walmart ones LOL I was thinking some kind of tripod light behind the piano but after that I am not sure. This room's windows face due east so the only good light is in the morning.

Any suggestions are welcome. I really appreciate the input and guidance! Am I heading in a good direction?

{{gwi:1545078}}

{{gwi:1545079}}

{{gwi:1545080}}

{{gwi:1545081}}

Comments (17)