SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sewnice50

HRV questions, will it work for me?

sewnice50
15 years ago

I am considering buying a HRV system due to a stale air problem in our house.

First off I live in southeast Wisconsin. The house is about 1600 square feet not including the basement.

My heat vents are near the ceiling level and my cold air returns are at the floor.

There is 1 cold air return in the 4' x 4' foyer.

the dining room is 8' x 12' open to the living room which is 16' x 12' The living room has 2 cold air vents the dining room has one.

the Kitchen has 1. (has a dual fan hood vent also)

the bathroom has none. (has a timed exhaust vent)

the two bedrooms have each 1 but they are located behind doors. (doors that are always left open)

the family room which is 20' x 13' has one at the entrance to the room at the doorway. (this room has the worst stale smell) This room has been remodeled so it has one heat vent near the ceiling and across from it and a new one on the floor level.

I had all new windows put in recently, extra insulation in the attic, new high efficiency furnace, all ducting cleaned. New cedar siding put on the outside with tar paper not Tyvec. My house now smells awful. The fireplace does not vent properly anymore, I now have to open a window when I want to use it.

Will a HRV system move the air properly in this house? Will it make it smell fresh again?

do they make noise? The quote is around $2200.00 I am at my wits end with stale smell in this house and I do not know what to do. Thank you for any help.

Comments (2)