SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
warmfridge

Need help with storage ideas (long w/ diagram)

warmfridge
14 years ago

I'm remodeling my kitchen because I'm disabled due to a back injury. Primary goals of the renovation are taller counters and more user-friendly storage. Much of my current storage is below knee-level.

This small ''kitchen'' is actually half of a great room...the LR half extends to the right, and includes a former coat closet refitted with shelves for pantry-type storage. Moving the plumbing or electrical would require excessive demolition downstairs, so new stove, sink, and DW will be in the same locations.

{{!gwi}}

I have a bunch of oversized serving bowls and platters that are crammed into the upper corner cabinet because that's the only place I can fit them. They're nearly inaccessible there. I'm thinking about putting deeper (14'' instead of 12'') upper cabinets long the short run of my ''L.'' I don't do any prep on that counter, it has small appliances parked on it and is used mostly as a landing space.

Opinions on deeper upper cabs? Other storage ideas?

Should add that upper cabs now stop 12'' below ceiling and will be replaced with cabs all the way to ceiling...Yeay, storage with no bending required!

I have oversized specialty bakeware and stockpots in the lower corner cab. Doesn't bother me too much because I don't use them very often. However, if anyone has any better ideas on storage for this type of thing, I'd appreciate that too.

The island has a top row of small drawers with cab doors below...pots, pans, and skillets are now at ankle level. Ideas for storage of large skillets would be appreciated also. Plan to replace with all drawers (maybe 1 door) and extend island south far enough to add a trash pullout. Trash currently sits at south end of island next to table. :>(

Any ideas for making the most of my space would be helpful. Thank you all.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths