SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jsweenc

Final (?) layout -- I'd love your thoughts on it

jsweenc
14 years ago

I've got to learn to title my posts better. My other one has fallen off to page 2, so I hope it's OK if I try again with a new title.

Sorry about the photo of the layout; I can't get the scanner to work.

Here is where we are currently:

{{gwi:1575957}}

Forgot to label the air return to the right of the fridge. There will be a tall pantry pullout above it, 16" total width to edge of fridge panel.

What has happened already:

The pantry bump into the kitchen is framed, wired and sheetrocked.

Doorways on either side of pantry have been cut and sheetrocked.

Back door is in place.

Window frames have been made but not set into walls, so the walls themselves are not completely committed yet.

Old fridge wall has been removed. Longer support beam is in place.

Over the weekend, we moved our table into place and mocked up the two islands and lived with it. It all worked well.

- Paths plenty wide

- Pantry bump is not obstructive at all.

- Plenty of room for chairs in every direction at table

- Will need another trash can on the periphery

- No walking through the work zones to get anywhere else

- Straight shot to the garage!

- Dining space is plenty big to expand table to its largest capacity. We rarely have large formal gatherings; mostly informal weekly meetings or one family at a time.

Things still undecided (here's the layout again for easier reference):

{{gwi:1609692}}

1. Bump the sink out 3"? I'd like not to move it left or right if possible.

2. Doors along pantry wall: forget the swinging doors in drawing -- GC said he's seen little fingers get pinched and worse, so that's out. Double half doors? A full door? Swinging which way?

3. Mudroom bench bumped into playroom, which is ~12'x17' right now. The benches/lockers will take ~15" or less from the 12' and ~5.5 from the 17'. When we add to the front (after the kitchen is finished) we will probably make the 12' side a little bigger, but thatÂs not decided yet. It will be office/school/play for all 5 of us (DH, me, two 11 yo homeschooled, baby 13 mos).

4. The main (middle) island, 8.5'x30", will be main prep space. The second (outer) island, 5'x18", 39" high (w/ counter) plus one 8" square column base on either side (with round columns on top), will house china (no glass front). I am thinking the left side of the left column base should line up with the left side of the middle island. I'm looking for balance, not symmetry. I will need to decide on outlets and switches needed in the islands before too long. Any thoughts about any of this?

5. The window frames ended up being 11Â8". This puts them at ~1Â or less from the door. While I donÂt want a counter butting right up to the door, I also donÂt want the windows to look like they are hanging out in space. IÂm thinking of 12" deep counter height shelves to end where the window trim ends. I may be able to scoot the windows 3" inches to the right, but no more if I'm going to have 5' for my cooking area -- I do want symmetry in that 5' span. Any thoughts on that?

Other things to decide:

Exact sinks, faucets

Counters

Hardware

Floor finish - type and color on existing oak

Wall paint

Color of outer island

Lighting

I'll ask those questions in separate posts.

Again, I appreciate any thoughts anyone has!

Comments (5)