SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vannie_gw

What are y'all reading?

vannie
16 years ago

I'm reading "Digging to America" by Anne Tyler. I usually like her books and hope this will be one of them. Has anybody "discovered" a new author they've never read before recently?

Comments (49)

• wanda_va
    16 years ago

Currently reading "Orbit" by John J. Nance. All of his books are great!

• jackie_ok
    16 years ago

I just finished "Water for Elephants" and I forgot who wrote it. I also just finished "Creation in Death", the newest J. D. Robb. It was a good one. My friend gave me a series of books by Shirley Rousseau Murphy. They are light mysteries and involve talking cats. I am kind of hooked on them now.

• Related Discussions

What are you reading?

Q

Comments (42)
    I also loved "the Help", I'm looking for similar stories. This week, I read "no time to wave goodbye" by Jacqueline Mitchard, it's a sequel to a novel of years ago where a woman loses her little boy in a crowd. It was very entertaining, though kind of light. Sometimes that's all I want in a novel.
    ...See More

I noticed Jodi's post. What are y'all reading?

Q

Comments (29)
    I'm reading The Book of The Dead. My BIL sent it to me. It's an English mystery. He said he's spent a lot of time in that area of England where it takes place. I've read 40 or so pages and haven't really got into it yet, but I'm not giving up. I used to read every day, but the past couple of years I just haven't been in the mood. I really miss it. Vannie I have The Girl Who Played With Fire and look forward to reading it.
    ...See More

What are you reading this summer?

Q

Comments (27)
    I just finished "Live Bait" by PJ Tracy, the second Monkeewrench Gang book. It was good, but it didn't feature the Monkeewrench Gang all that much. I have the third book but probably won't read it for a few weeks yet. I recently finished "Wicked" by Gregory Maguire. As much as I enjoyed it, I don't know if I want to read the sequel, though. I love Michael Connelly's books featuring Harry Bosch. For a mystery/thriller writer, he injects his characters with so much, well, character. I finished "The Illuminator" by Brenda Rickman Vantrease recently, and currently have the pseudo-sequel "the Mercy Seller" in hand. The economy is so bad here locally that the county has closed my local library for all except 12 hours a week -- M/W/Sat 1-5 pm. I am p*ssed!
    ...See More

Ever go back and read books that you read

Q

Comments (36)
    Oh, yes, I re-read all the time. The ones I re-read the most are Jane Austen's novels, the "Outlander" series by Diana Gabaldon, "Anna Karenina" by Leo Tolstoy (one of my favorite books ever), and "Far From the Madding Crowd" by Thomas Hardy. I've re-read "To Kill a Mockingbird," too, but only 3-4 times.:)
    ...See More
  • vannie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jackie, what did you think about "Water for Elephants?" I think my book club is going to read it. I've heard mixed reviews.

• brenda_in_tx
    16 years ago

I started The Kite Runner yesterday.

• stephanie_in_ga
    16 years ago

Well, I recently read "Evidence of Things Unseen" by Marianne Wiggins. Loved it! It blew me away. One of those books that just left me saying "WOW!" as I read. Great story, beautiful language. I think I talked about it the last time we had this post.

So at the library I picked up whatever was on the shelf by Wiggins, "John Dollar." It was ... weird. I still liked it, but it was a weird story. Started out normal, going along, getting to know the characters. Then half-way through the book, swish, I turned the page and it got weird. Hold your breath and eyes get big while reading kind of weird. Should have read the dedication page, "To Salmon," as in Rushdie, who was the author's husband at the time she wrote the book. (Google lets me learn something new every day.) It was not as surreal as what Salmon Rushdie writes, but knowing he was an influence on her writing explained a lot. More like something Margaret Atwood would write. Very different from "Things Unseen," so I just wasn't expecting it. It had a very upbrupt ending, I had to go back and reread the first chapter for it to all come together. Surprised me to learn it was "John Dollar" that earned the author literary awards (I just forget which ones right now). I guess b/c it is so original.

Still, she is an author I now want to read a lot more of. So I requested a book on paperbackswap by Wiggins, "Almost Heaven."

Right now I am in the middle of "Salt" by Jeremy Page. I like his writing style. It's subtle, the landscape is important, has the sound of the local dialect (north England fishing community). So I am enjoying it, but like I said, I'm halfway through, and that's always when I'm just starting to decide what I think of a book.

I have three books (fiction for ages 9-12) from the elementary school's library, brand new to the library, they must be screened for contect before they are made available to students. I always volunteer to do that, I enjoy seeing what is out there for kids to read. I can just skim them, but I always get sucked into the story. ;o) I've had two weeks, but haven't started them yet! Better get busy!

• liz
    16 years ago

I just finished "T" is for Trespass by Sue Grafton...excellent as are all of her alphabet series...but dang...now I gotta wait a long time for "U"!!

• carol_in_california
    16 years ago

I have been reading a lot of James Lee Burke....the one where the main character is a dectective in the New Orleans area.....New Iberia, I think. I swore after the last one I was going to quit reading his books for a while and today, while at the library, I found one of his hardback's for sale for a dollar. This one is Jolie Blon's Bounce. I finished The Morning for Flamingos and The Last Car to Elysian Park in the past few days.
    But, before I start the new one I got today, I will start the new, to me, J.J. Jance's Hand of Evil. It is due in a week.

• zayarayama
    16 years ago

I am currently reading The Godfathers Revenge by Mark Winegardner and Twilight Eyes by Dean Koontz. I am also rereading my Dark Tower series by Stephen King. They are all very good!

• jackie_ok
    16 years ago

I liked Water for Elephants. It is a little different than what I usually read, but I can see where it would be a great book for discussion. It is the kind of book that you will think about for awhile after you finish it.

• pixistix
    16 years ago

I just picked up a 7-day loan on A Thousand Splendid Suns . . . I was kind of disappointed in how it began; I kept wondering what all the fuss was about. Didn't take long to find out, sigh :)
    Also just finished Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult . . . I LOVE her books; this one was so captivating to me; does anybody else think she's a fantastic storyteller?

• des_arc_ya_ya
    16 years ago

Reading The Kite Runner and am having trouble getting into it.

• mtnwomanbc
    16 years ago

"Cold Shoulder" by Lynda La Plante

She wrote the books and screenplays for the Prime Suspect TV series.

After that, "Cold Heart" and "Cold Blood" to finish the trilogy of an ex-LA cop turned alcholic hooker turned recovering private investigator.

I'm waiting for my turn at the library to get the "T" Sue Grafton book.

• rosebudms
    16 years ago

Have "T for Trespass" on the kitchen table....am daring myself to start reading it. Like Liz, I know it will be a long wait for "U". That's why I'm holding off starting it.

I am sort of reading a book by an author I don't know, called "The Lizard's Bite". It is a mystery set in Venice about a glass making family. The blurb on the cover likened the descriptive work to Tony Hillerman's 4-corner writings. That's why I bought it. So far, just o.k.

Noticed on Amazon that John Grisham has another one due out the end of January. Another legal thriller, they say. I always buy whatever he writes. Did not like "An Innocent Man" very much, so am anxious for a new page turner.

• intherain
    16 years ago

I'm reading "Sandcastles" by Luanne Rice. So far so good. I used to love to read, but as I got older with children, that unfortunately faded. This year I've decided to start reading again!

Sheryl

• Lee
    16 years ago

1. Recently finished 'Standing in the Rainbow' by Fannie Flagg.
    "Meet the unforgettable residents of Elmwood Springs, Missouri, (small town, USA) in a story that captures the humorous and complex realities of ordinary people, including Neighbor Dorothy, a radio hostess, and her wayward son Bobby, the Oatman Family gospel singers, and hotshot salesman Hamm Sparks."
    Much of it is told through the voice of Neighbor Dorothy who has a daily radio show. It starts in the 1940's and ends with the 1990's. If you liked Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, it is likely you would like this.
    It was very interesting, charming, and nostalgic.

2. On the other side of the coin completely is "Sphere of Influence" by Kyle Mills.
    "Brilliant FBI tough guy Mark Beamon, who is investigating a terrorist threat linked to a global conspiracy. Killing time on a dead-end assignment while the Bureau plans his downfall, Beamon is thrown together with his former colleague Laura Vilechi when a videotape is delivered to the American media, indicating that Al Qaeda has smuggled a rocket launcher into the U.S. Their threat to use it against civilian targets has thrown the country into a panic, with people afraid to leave their homes. Meanwhile, Chet Michaels, one of Beamon's former trainees, now deep undercover in pursuit of a psychotic Mafioso, is nervously watching drug deals being made with shadowy Afghans."
    It's a real modern crime thriller (post 9/11) with political overtones; definitely a page turner.

• czech_chick
    16 years ago

Started reading "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert.

• vannie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Carol, I've read all of the James Lee Burke books. My cousin's son grew up w/ him in New Iberia, La. Well, I guess that makes him my cousin, too. I just never knew him too well. But! knowing someone who knew him is kinda fun. I love him!

• FlamingO in AR
    16 years ago

"Pandora's Daughter" by Iris Johannson. It's good, easy to read, mystery/thriller/psychic stuff.

I'm lining up for "Swimming Lessons" by Mary Alice Monroe, it's the sequel to "Beach House" which I loved. I have the new one in the house, but I'm waiting for just the right day to start it. I know I won't want to put it down.

• foggyj
    16 years ago

Down the Nile- by Rosemary Mahoney. Having been to Egypt, this is interesting to see what she had to go through to accomplish her goal of rowing a boat on the Nile River. Intend to start it today. I suspect it will take me back to Egypt. We criused the Nile, which is an experience of a lifetime! (hence the interest)

• phyllis__mn
    16 years ago

I always have about lthree or four going a the same time. I tossed "Pandora's Daughter" as I just got sick of all the action. I'm also reading a Mary Robert Rinehart trilogy, John Grishom's "Innocent Man", which I'm about ready to toss, also, and "Standing in the Rainbow", which is OK, and I will finish it. I'm also reading "Oh, My Stars" by Laura Landvik, which I'm rather enjoying. I really need a good John Grisham now. I think I probably have one in my TBR stack.

• foggyj
    16 years ago

vannie, I tried, but just couldn't get into, Digging to America. Maybe it just wasn't what I expected. Lost my interest quickly.
    I read Water for Elephants, because I was intrigued by circus life. I got what I bargained for. It was a good story, I guess. Kinda depressing.

• creekgirl
    16 years ago

I've just started reading "Weekend Warriors" by Fern Michaels.

This is a series of at least six books that involve The Sisterhood.....a group of women that have been failed by the American justice system & decide to take matters into their own hands & avenge the wrongs done to them.

It was recommended by our librarian as being light reading. I don't need anything that boggles my mind or has too many characters to confuse me. I already have enough of that in my day-to-day living.

So far I've enjoyed this first one & have signed out the next five from the library.

• naughtykitty
    16 years ago

I am on the last disk of the audiobook "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak. I am really enjoying it. It is about a young girl in Nazi Germany who lives with a foster family that is hiding a Jew and she has a penchant for stealing books. Wonderfully written.

Real book: Blackwood Farm by Anne Rice. I just started it last night. It is OK, but hasn't grabbed me yet.

• nodakgal
    16 years ago

Creekgirl, I really enjoy that series! I missed the first one though. :( I think the latest is to be released this month?

• vannie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

foggy, thanks for the warning. If I don't "get into it" after 30 or 40 pages, I'll toss it, too. Heard someone else say they didn't like "Innocent Man" and tossed it.

• jen_tx
    16 years ago

I just finished "Pope Joan" by Donna Woolfolk Cross. Sure does make me glad I was born in this day and age. Women in the 9th century had it TOUGH! But it was a very good book.

I have "In Search of Eden" by Linda Nichols but haven't started it yet. If it's good, I know I won't do anything else but read and I've done that for two days already. I've got to get some stuff done around here. lol

• maryanntx
    16 years ago

I finally finished A Good Year by Peter Mayle. I usually read 4-5 books a month, but I don't seem to have reading time any more. Once I finally get home in the evenings I am too tired to read. It took me a month to read this book. I did enjoy it and I sent it on to my BIL in Orlando. I am now reading A Christmas Promise by Thomas Kinkade. It's good so far.

• sooey
    16 years ago

Brenda and ya ya...I'm glad you are both reading The Kite Runner. I finished it a few weeks ago and LOVED IT! In fact, I loved it so much, that before I could bring myself to return it to the Library, I went to the book store and bought a copy of it.

Ya ya, I know what you mean about having to 'get into it' It took me a while. I thought it was good from the beginning but not the great book that everyone was talking about. Hang in there, it gets really, really good.

For me, The Kite Runner had an understated sweetness to it. I can't say that I liked all of the characters but I did appreciate their flaws. I also had a great appreciation for the story of Afganistan. Not that we learn its exact history, but we are shown that at one time it was a beautiful country with beautiful people. Very different and beautiful.

I still have my youngest home from Grad School for a few more days so I am giving all my free time to her. But I think my next book will be 'Pontoon' or 'Tuesdays with Maury'.

I'm glad so many of us read. It's such a great use of what ever time we have.

sooey

• ninos
    16 years ago

Womans Day and Family Circle

I never have much time to read a good book during the school year. I should have started one while the kids were on winter break. I read ALOT of childrens book though. Does that count?

• jennmonkey
    16 years ago

I just finished The Kite Runner, Little Alters Everywhere, and Under the Banner of Heaven.

I'm about 3/4 the way through Slaughter House Five by Kurt Vonnegut and I'm going to read Catch 22 next.

• mom24
    16 years ago

I'm in the middle of Eat,Pray,Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. Amazing writer. She's very down to earth and her words are powerful and comfortable at the same time. Reading it feels like a conversation with a good friend. I definitely suggest it for any woman.

BTW, Stephanie in GA- I LOVE your descriptions. Everytime you describe a book, I want to run right out and try it. I think you have a bit of a writer in you. Thanks!

• Cherryfizz
    16 years ago

I am reading the Scrabble Workbook front to back that I got for Christmas.

Did you know that "aalii" is a word or if I have the letters "aimnopt" I can make 4 different 7 letter words?

Now, if only I can remember what I read when I am playing Scrabble.

Book wise, I am plodding through the Nanny Diaries. Very riveting to say the least - NOT. LOL

Anne

• nickel_kg
    16 years ago

my 'new to me' find is Sharon Fiffer -- she wrote a series of mysteries about a woman who collects clutter and junk and has a real problem letting go of anything. Fun characters, decent stories, overall good light reading. The books are all called "something Stuff", as in "Buried Stuff", "Wrong Stuff", etc.

Over the holidays I read two Rex Stout "Nero Wolfe" mysteries. I love his style, and the old era it harks back to, like a black & white movie.

Currently I've got two books going. The "serious" one is by Robert Alter, his new translation of the Psalms. It's already fascinating and incredibly beautiful. I'm sure I'll learn alot. But it's slow going, so much info on each page, lol! The other book is the direct opposite: it's one of my daughter's "manga" about a ferret named "Peaches." Very imaginative!

• teresava
    16 years ago

My book club just finished reading "The Myth of You and Me", by Leah Stewart. It was decent-went pretty fast.

Our new book for this month is "The Zookeepers Wife" by Diane Ackerman. Apprently, it's very popular as every library in this county has it checked out of on hold!! (We're talking about 22 libraries!!) I believe it's the true story of Polish zookeepers who hid Jews during the Holocaust.

Since I haven't been able to find that one, I borrowed Sue Grafton's S is for Silence to read before T is for Trepass is available. I read it a while ago, but luckily I usually forget the plots pretty fast. I've probably read each letter of "her" alphabet 2-3 times each! What happens when she gets to Z????

I also checked out Jeffrey Deaver's Cold Moon after so many of you mentioned it last post!

So do any of you keep a Book Journal to remember what books you have read? I'm trying to think of some format to write down all the ones I've read and maybe a list of ones that sound good (To Be Read). I get such great ideas from this thread.

• maryanntx
    16 years ago

teresava, I keep a book journal on an Excel spreadsheet. I have columns for Title, Author, Year read, Month read, Comments, Who recommended the book to me, and a 10 star rating system. I like doing this in Excel because I can sort it by author to see how many books I have read by that particular author, or by star rating to see which were my best or worst books.

I just received the two Sears books by Rosemary and plan to read them as soon as I've finished my current book!

• bunny_lover
    16 years ago

I just started Between Sundays by Karen Kingsbury. I love her books.

• patti43
    16 years ago

I just started "Cold Mountain" but it's hard to get into.

• grinch_gut
    16 years ago

I just started "The Edge of Winter" by Luanne Rice....so far I am really liking it. Stacy

• Kathsgrdn
    16 years ago

Dean Koontz's new one, The Darkest Evening of the Year. The main character is a Golden Retriever.

• des_arc_ya_ya
    16 years ago

Well, I finished The Kite Runner and, yes, I did enjoy it after about page 62! LOL

Saw an ad last week on tv that it's coming out as a movie - it may already be out. Wonder who stars in it?

• Lily316
    16 years ago

Loving Frank..(Frank Lloyd Wright)

• brenda_in_tx
    16 years ago

"So do any of you keep a Book Journal to remember what books you have read? I'm trying to think of some format to write down all the ones I've read and maybe a list of ones that sound good (To Be Read). I get such great ideas from this thread."

I don't have a system as elaborate as Maryann's, but since 1999, I've get a list by year in a Word document of every book I've read and the author. It's fun to go back and look at how many or how few books I read each year. Last year was a record high since I started keeping my list - I read 50 books. I'm sure to some that's not many but it was for me. I looooove to read. I have a friend who is a voracious reader - she's in her 50's and has arthritis pretty bad and doesn't work so reading is her favorite thing to do. We had dinner together a few months ago and she said she remembers as a kid taking her wagon to the library and carting books home. She said her parents were always fussing at her to get her nose out the book and go outside and play. Neither one of my kids read for pleasure - I wish they did - you're able to visit so many places that you might not ever get to see in person if you enjoy reading.

• marygailv
    16 years ago

brenda, I had to laugh at your comment about your friend and her reading. I also am a voracious reader and when I was in grade school at recess would stand facing the corner of the school building to keep the sun out of my eyes and read. Not too long ago I saw a mother and her two daughtes walking down the street and one daughter was reading as she walked, with the mother beside her edging her along.

I'm now retired and my day consists of being on the computer and reading

• brenda_in_tx
    16 years ago

marygailv - there use to be a woman who worked where I do and she would read books as she was walking to the elevator, riding on the elevator, walking to her car from the elevator ..... I don't think I have enough coordination to do that - I KNOW I'd run into someone. lol

Your day sounds pretty nice to me!!!

• caroline94535
    16 years ago

After years of studying WWII, I've gone back in time and am now immersed in Anne Perry's WWI series. I've read the first three far.

The series include No Graves as Yet, Shoulder the Sky, , Angels in the Gloom, , At Some Disputed Barricade, , and We Shall Not Sleep.

They're fascinating books with a wonderful story line, very human characters, and heartbreaking history.

Here is a link that might be useful: Anne Perry homepage

• caroline94535
    16 years ago

...and I'm in the process of listening to the Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum series on unabridged CDs again. That's my fun reading/listening while I'm doing mundane housework, laundry, painting, etc.

When I've worked my way through them, I'll probablys start on the J.R.R. CDs again.

• summer_tx
    16 years ago

I've just started "For One More Day" by Mitch Albom. It was a Christmas present. There was a TV movie out from the book just a week or so ago but I missed it. I'm glad. I'd rather read the book first.

• montana_jan
    16 years ago

Deborah Smith-- her story lines are great. They are set in the South and are stories you remember for years. I just read The Crossroads Cafe and her latest, A Gentle Rain. I buy her books the day they come out. My daughter is a big fan of hers. She buys them from the fan club site and Deborah Smith signs them.

• chessey24
    16 years ago

I just finished Steve Martin's Born Standing Up - a memoir of his early years - pretty good.

I do keep a log of my reading - it's in a Word table and I'm able to sort it however I want -fairly easy to maintain