SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
srahndennis

Cabinet makers in Dallas/Fort Worth area?

Stacy Rahn-Dennis
14 years ago

I guess the subject says it all, LOL! I'm looking for recommendations in the DFW area.

Comments (31)

• Stacy Rahn-Dennis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bumping.....

• Lil B
    14 years ago

I've heard of Sunrise Designs in Arlington...but I haven't seen their work.

• Related Discussions

Finding Wild Asclepias in the Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas area

Q

Comments (10)
    Danny, Tuberosa is one of the easiest perennial milkweeds to grow from seed. Put the seeds in a plastic baggy, add a fourth cup of sand and a fourth teaspoon of water. Mix well and put in the fridge for 4 weeks. Remove and put in a warm location. When the seeds sprout, transplant them into pots. Voila! Now you just have to wait for them to get larger. They will develop a tuber. Here, they go dormant in the winter and come up in late April. They should come up sooner in your location. I use the same technique for all my milkweed except curassavica. I only chill those that need cold stratification. I grow LOTS of milkweed. Good luck, Sandy
    ...See More

Finding Wild Asclepias in the Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas area

Q

Comments (1)
    Where is home? Its a bit early to find milkweed growing right now. Later in the growing season, look in a moist ditch line that hasn't been mowed or the back slope of roadways. (for common milkweed) A. Tuberosa perfers dryer conditions than common milkweed (a. syriaca). You can buy a. Tuberosa online from Prairie Nursery.
    ...See More

Edible Dallas-Fort Worth magazine

Q

Comments (1)
    Bumping this down.
    ...See More

Any KTer's in the Fort Worth/Dallas area?

Q

Comments (5)
    I spoke with Nita yesterday, and I am so excited about their visit!! They have just purchased a 40ft 5th wheel, and are trucking from Arizona to Fort Worth. I am so delighted they can just hook up here at the house. We are in a cul-de-sac, so lots of room to spare. If anybody else is in this area, please let us know, would love to have you over to play! Trin
    ...See More
  • Stacy Rahn-Dennis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! I'll check them out. I've had a quote from Smithart Custom Millwork but it was so far off my budget I don't know if we can make anything work. I haven't seen their work yet, either, but they were recommended by an acquiantance. I've started looking at national brands, too.

Do you live in the area?

• Stacy Rahn-Dennis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! I'll check them out. I've had a quote from Smithart Custom Millwork but it was so far off my budget I don't know if we can make anything work. I haven't seen their work yet, either, but they were recommended by an acquiantance. I've started looking at national brands, too.

Do you live in the area?

• Lil B
    14 years ago

Yes, I do live in the area. I'm beginning to shop cabinets also. I was wondering how the national brands compare in price to locally milled cabinets. Have you made any determination on that?

We'll be doing paint-grade cabinets, and I have a feeling that our cabinet design is also going to run over budget. Go figure...

• Stacy Rahn-Dennis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So much reading here indicates that custom can be less expensive than national brands. Well, my first estimate from a custom guy was alomst double of what I thought it should be. I thought I might be out of touch so I starting working with Hope Depot to price Kraft Maid. Sounded like I'd be able to do what I expected. Now working with someone to price Showplace and Crystal and she seems to think my expectations are reasonable, too. Also heard back from custom guy who is re-working his proposal to fit my budget better. Not sure where I'll end up. I've found some other custom shops but haven't talked with any of them yet. Jury's still out, I guess. Have you talked with anyone yet? What makes you think your design doesn't match your budget? Hope you don't mind the questions...this is all driving me crazy. It's such a huge financial committment and I want to be smart about it.

• Lil B
    14 years ago

I got my initial CAD back from the custom/local guy, and my contractor mentioned that it was "about" $3k over my allowance. But I didn't see the detailed quote. My contractor will help me with the cabinet guy and "tweak" some things that they didn't feel were necessary, and I'm not sure if they will also do some arm wrestling for price. Until I meet with them in person, I really don't know what parts of the design are increasing the price based on the original quote that they built our allowance around. I did want a Fireplace Mantle Hood in the kitchen, but I don't know if that is a major cost driver or not!

On my own, I contacted Factory Builder Stores, and they are also going to give me a quote. I told them upfront, that I'm not willing to spend a lot more on cabinets above my allowance so they would have to be comparable for me to choose them. I would like glazing on my cabinets, and the FBS lady told me that you can't add antiquing later to national cabinets. The paint is baked on basically. That was interesting, since it sounds like you won't be able to paint them later. The finish will be much more durable though. She also pointed out that usually cabinet allowances are built based on unpainted prices. And that my paint figure also includes painting the cabinets. The national brands will come painted. So, basically, I'll need to expect a higher number for the national brand vs local cabinets. That sounds fair -- as long as my total spending on the project (cabinets, paint, and glazing) is within my allowance then I am willing to consider whichever option makes more sense.

I meet with the local cabinet guy on Monday. And I should have a quote back from the national cabinet company next week. I'm not sure which brand she will quote...sounds like she works with many different brands.

I've been pricing appliances and Lowe's/HD were much higher than the appliance showrooms when I am buying for an entire kitchen. Not sure if cabinet prices may work in a similiar way. It may be worthwhile to shop around.

• Stacy Rahn-Dennis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I would think the hood could be pretty pricey. Are you working with Kamey at FBS? That's who I've talked with. So far, she's been good to work with. She's coming out next week with her contractor to measure and estimate the rest of my project. The finish is a concern for me. I have custom builder cabinets now -- about 20 years old. The finish is the problem.

I've found the same with appliances. Most of mine are monogram so I'm limited but the showrooms are giving me better prices.

Let me know how it goes!

• Lil B
    14 years ago

Are you saying that the finish on the custom builder/local cabinets are your concern? I couldn't quite understand.

Yep, the same lady with FBS for me!

• Stacy Rahn-Dennis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, I'm a little concerned about the durability of the finish from a custom shop. I've read that sometimes they don't have technology to produce the same quality of finishes.

Too funny we've both talked with the same woman at FBS!

• Lil B
    14 years ago

I agree with the finish concern. Our current home is about 6 years old, and I noticed the other day there is a small place on one cabinet door in the kitchen where the paint has flaked off. They are locally milled cabinets.

• susantiger
    14 years ago

I've been hunting a kitchen design and cabs for ages now...am meeting a designer from Hollman Co. they are local, on Tuesday. They have a showroom in Irving, plant over by A & M (I think).Anyhoo, they have stock, eco and semi-custom and also do totally custom. I'm really hoping this works out, and I think it will.Their website is: www.hollman.com . I'll post back on the details!

• Stacy Rahn-Dennis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

home4sale - I'd be very upset if my 6-year-old cabinets were starting to have flaking issues! Are you building a new home?

susantiger - Good luck with Hollman. Let us know how it goes. Who else have you talked with? Is yours a remodel?

• susantiger
    14 years ago

Hisrahndennis, We are doing a remodel in Richardson. a 1969 fixer-upper, and this is the last of it. Thank goodness!!!, but by far the hardest part. I've looked into national companies, those carried at HD and Lowes as well. I started this years ago when HD Epxo was still here, and dropped it because I got so flustered. But a plumbing problem really got us going now, and I've got to get this done asap. I have exact dimensions, but no design - but I know exactly what I want - my problem is plugging in the right size cabs and filler pieces - oh and the toe-kick thing as well. I'll let you know how it goes. Tomorrow at 10:30...:)

• kordust
    14 years ago

srahndennis mentions checking out Showplace ... they are offering free painted finish if you place an order in the next month or so; they always have glaze without an upcharge.

Any word how the pricing came out?

• susantiger
    14 years ago

I was quite impressed with Hollman. The KD, Carrie, was right on with my wants and needs, and will be getting back to me on pricing in a day or so. Looks very good, maple slab with a fawn stain, and some Macassar Ebony (sort of a tiger stripe?) thrown in on the island...and some uppers? Can't wait to see it. Now my biggest concern is finding something for a countertop- and I haven't a clue.

• Stacy Rahn-Dennis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's great news, susantiger (is it Susan?)! Sounds very pretty. I'm in Grapevine so we're fairly close. I can understand getting frustrated with this and deciding to wait. I can't beleive how much time I've spend on this over the last 3 months! I do think I'm getting closer, though. Keep us posted!

kordust -- you seem quite knowledgable! Do you work in the industry?

home4sale -- How are things going for you?

• susantiger
    14 years ago

Howdy! Carrie with Hollman is coming over tomorrow with a design and dollar amount. Maple cabs and some Macassar Ebony (sort of a tiger stripe)uppers? Floors are Asuvi 16 x 24' porcelains, in a sort of old-copperish,brownish-black,but it has an old silver patina look on the top. Pics don't come out well at all, and the tile has been discontinued. Any idea for a countertop? I like the look of the Wilsonart (laminate - did I say that word?)Luna Night...it has the same sort of old silver sheen that the floor has. ooh. I also found a great web-site for stainless sinks...cbath.com, also moderndanish.com. Both are great! I found a really nice apron stainless sink that I want to up-mount in my countertop. It is 36 x 16 x 10, 16 gauge, and they have these great drains and lift-out strainer baskets. $519.00.

• Lil B
    14 years ago

I met with our builder and the custom cabinet shop. (I never heard back from FBS at all...so odd.) I'm a bit disappointed because the bid is about 25% over our allowance. I like the cabinet design, but it doesn't seem like an over the top design to me. Or at least nothing so substanially more than what I thought our allowance would have covered.

I'm still waiting to hear from my builder on advice on how to proceed and details on why the bid is so much more than the allowance -- shop other cabinet builders, negotiate with the current or what.

Anyone concerned about formaldehdye content in MDF? We are having painted cabinets, and I'd like to get formaldehyde free MDF. I talked to one cabinet maker today who said it wouldn't be very much extra to use that product. But he was a commerical cabinet maker, not really bidding on the job.

In my current home, there is only one small spec where the paint has flaked. I didn't mean for it to sound like it was a major problem...maybe that place got hit and it flaked off. I'm still not sure why that would have happend...but it's not a huge problem in our home.

• kordust
    14 years ago

srahndennis,well, sort of in the industry ... my brother has worked for Decora, Mouser, Plato, and Riviera at various times over the last 30 years. He now is a dealer who sells Showplace.

A sister and brother-in-law both used to work at Crystal cabinetry too (not at the same time), but neither are in the business anymore...

Lots of cabinet talk at the holidays :)

• Stacy Rahn-Dennis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Susantiger -- it sounds like you're on a roll! Good for you! The luna night looks pretty. There's also a thread about a new formica product - the pics look good.

Home4sale - that's strange that you didn't hear back from FBS. They were great when they came here to measure. Maybe give her a call? I haven't even thought about formaldehdye. I'm hoping to use all plywood but I may be kidding myself.

Kordust - LOL about your holiday conversations! Since your brother sells Showplace I assume he thinks well of the product? Crystal is another line the KD was going to price for me. I'm the one interested in lyptus and they have it, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Formica thread

• kordust
    14 years ago

srahndennis, yeah, it was especially interesting when several were working for competing brands; that isn't a problem anymore :)

My brother is very complimentary about Showplace, he says it is the best value cabinet he has been involved with. They do lots of custom work but at a semi-custom price. Well, custom sizes and cabinet configurations, but not custom stains,species, or door styles.

He also worked for a custom builder called Actua for awhile, but I couldn't remember that name before. Actua went bye-bye a long time ago during an earlier recession.

The guy who started Showplace also started Decora and Starmark; this is his third brand and sounds like the third time is a charm!

Crystal is a great cabinet too, but much higher priced; at least that is what I think I know.

Lyptus is BEAUTIFUL and has a great "green" story; it ages like cherry and looks like mahogany ... I think darker colors look best, but that is personal preference.

On the formaldehyde subject; most national brands that sell in California are required to live by the rules set by California (if you want to get deep into it Google "CARB" to get some "light" bedtime reading; maybe you've heard the term)... those are the best you'll find. The smaller "custom" shops would not have to live by the California rules, but still might be OK; you'd have to specifically ask them.

• Lil B
    14 years ago

I got a preliminary quote back from FBS and it was completely out of my budget (Midcontinent). :( We need a whole house of cabinets, and we're not even in the ballpark. She said that she may try to price a different "line" for me...but I'm not that hopeful that we will get there, considering it was WAY out of range.

Very cool drawings were provided though, and the mantlehood in the kitchen looked awesome!

I'm disappointed that my GC hasn't gotten back to me with the "re-tweaked" cabinet numbers from the local guy. The last bid was $2k over my budget. They are blaming my mantlehood concept for the overage. I don't understand how it adds up to that much, considering other parts of the cabinet plans have been eliminating from the scope in other areas of my home. The mantlehood look that I want doesn't even seem that ornate, so I'm really struggling.

srahndennis - Have you made any progress in your decision? Found any other cabinet makers?

Kordust - I have read about CARB. I think I should ask if the local guys are using a MDF product that is CARB ready. When I asked about the formaldehyde contact, they acted like I was an odd freak for caring! And said they didn't know. I told them to please inquire and let me know...I still haven't heard anything back. Sometimes DFW irks me for their lack of ANY "green" concern.

• Stacy Rahn-Dennis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

home4sale -- Don't know how I missed your reply but I just saw it!! Sorry. FBS has priced Showplace for me. I'll have to tweak a little but I think it's doable. I got cool drawings, too! I do think she's quite good. What's killing me is the pricing on things like outlets, switches, dimmers, undercabinet lighting, etc. There's no way I'm paying that much for those things. I really like the GC she recommended but his pricing is out of sight, too. So, I'm stalled a little right now. I am looking at CWP's showroom on Monday. Not sure if they're in my price range but we'll find out. We also just had some foundation work done so I've been focused on that.

Have you heard back from your GC yet?

• kathec
    14 years ago

Check out Dishman Remodeling. I met Doug Dishman when I bought some surplus tile from his off craigslist. I went to his home in North Dallas and saw his beautiful work. I was going to have some custom doors done - for refacing, but decided to keep and paint what I already had.

Good Luck!

Kathe in Plano

Here is a link that might be useful: Dishman Remodeling

• susantiger
    14 years ago

Hi! Sorry its taken me so long to get back to everyone. The KD, Carrie, at Hollman Cabinets, came back with the plan and pricing that will work great for us! Give them a call. We started out with maple, switched to bamboo, and wound up with Macassar. Talk about a switch, but we are tickled with the change! It will be very striking with the porcelain flooring we had installed. Now to settle on a countertop...

• Lil B
    14 years ago

This cabinet thing is dragging out entirely too long for me. We didn't get much "price tweaking" or follow-through on my formaldehyde questions from the original guy, so I thought we were going to switch gears and go with the company that GC is used to working with. I was going to meet with this company for the first time this week, but there was a death in the family so I've been told it may be another week or two. I want to be sympathetic. It's not this cabinet guy's fault, but this cabinet thing is just reallllly draggging out. Our house is has a dried in rough now, and framing is basically complete. I thought this was the time that cabinets had to be nailed down!

And FBS never came back on the pricing on a different line. It's been 3 weeks since I heard anything from them. I think she counts me as a lost cause, due to budget constraints.

• susantiger
    14 years ago

sorry, homes4sale, i definitely feel for ya. You can try Hollman, Carrie has been great! - what have you got to lose?

• Stacy Rahn-Dennis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi, everyone. Just checking in. I feel like I've been doing this forever, too. The quote from FBS wasn't too bad (although on the high end) on the cabinets although I think I can get custom for a similar price. Everything else, though, was just too much. So, heading down another path....sigh. Waiting for the GC bid. We will see. I think if this doesn't work out, I'll have to decide on things to cut or add even more money (which I don't want to do).

Susantiger - sounds like your project is under way?

home4sale - did you ever meet with that other cabinetmaker?

• Lil B
    14 years ago

My cabs are FINALLY in production. I can't believe this took so long. We went with the locally milled guy. The one our GC is used to working with. While everyone was dragging their feet on getting my formaldehyde questions answered, I talked to a few other local cabinet makers too. They were really helpful and provided me with detailed bids. I would have felt completely comfortable in going with them. They didn't treat me like a crazy for asking about the formaldehyde in the MDF. It was a normal thing for them, and they even sent me photos of their CARB complaint product labels.

But...we went with the GC's cab guy, because it wasn't worth the fight. The prices were comparable, and GC feels comfortable in what they are getting. I met their guy on-site and he was accomodating.

It should be a few weeks until they are installed. Sheetrock just began today! I'm excited.

I'm still debating if I want any glazing on my painted creme cabs. I'm even considering a different colored glaze. I'm going to do some experimenting on my own. I bought some trim at HD and cut them into 5" pieces. I'm going to mix up a few different glaze/paint combos (1:4 ratio) and see what I think. If nothing else, I'll stick with a safe light brown glaze. I just don't want them to look dirty.

• Stacy Rahn-Dennis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Added a bit to your post about the granite yards! Good grief. Of course, I had to ask who was giving you such trouble!

How exciting that things are underway!! You'll have to keep me posted! I still haven't made any decisions yet. I haven't been able to get the combination of cabinets & GC to come out to a $ figure I find reasonable. So, I dunno. I'm waiting on one other estimate. If it's not in the ballpark, I think I'll stop for a while. I'm tired of talking to people about it.

I don't blame you for going with the guy your GC is comfortable with. The last you need is for the two of them to be pointing fingers at each other.

Your glazing experiment will be a fun project. And cream cabs sound beautiful!