SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cao100

Does this sound legit?

cao100
16 years ago

Our local utility is offering a rebate to people who upgrade their systems to be more efficient. To be eligible for this rebate you have to have a recommended company come out and measure the EER of your unit to determine that it is in fact inefficient. We had a local company come out and do this. They measured our smaller unit that is for the upstairs and said that it is definitely inefficient and running at about 5.5 SEER. Then he told us he could not measure the bigger unit as it is "overcharged" thus not allowing him to get an accurate reading. He then tells me it is 95 bucks to fix this and then he can perform the free check. He also assured me that the unit would "fail" the EER test and be eligible for the rebate and that his company would then credit the $95 to the price of a new unit. For some reason a lot of this sounds fishy to me. I find it hard to believe that our unit which is only about 10 years old is only operating at a 5.5 SEER. Also, this whole overcharged business stinks of a ploy to get some money out of us. Any advice?

Comment (1)