SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susan1262

Need humidity! Radiant floors, no ductwork: options?

susan1262
13 years ago

Hi --

We have a one-year-old home that has all radiant floors and a mini-duct HVAC system in the attic space. We have no ductwork other than this. We desperately need to add some humidity for the winter months as the air is terribly dry with the radiant heat. Our hardwood floors need the humidity as much as our noses and throats.

Our contractor/heating contractor found small humidifier units that can tie into the water system and be placed in closets -- one on each floor. They would be automatic and keep the humidity constant where we set it when the heat is on. Holes would need to be cut into the drywall for the units to send out the humidity from the closets.

We are currently testing one in the unfinished basement and it emits a visible mist. I am concerned it will ruin woodwork over time, and also that it is truly a mist and I don't want to feel water when I walk by the closets or have water landing on everything; I thought it would be evaporating into the air, but maybe it's not a fine enough mist?

So, does anyone know of any other options, other than individual humidifiers for each room that will require filling and cleaning/maintenance?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments (8)