SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
larsi_gw

New Downy Unstopables In Wash Scent Booster :-o

larsi_gw
12 years ago

WOW...this stuff is STRONG, and as many of you know, I like scented detergents, softeners and clothes!

I bought the green bottle a few days ago, and have used it on maybe 2-3 loads. Unlike the Purex crystals that claim to be a softner (they do NOT soften) and are clear, rock like crystals, these look almost like smooth, waxy lentils. They claim nothing more than scenting clothes, with a long lasting fragrance.

Well....P&G is not lying!! This product really scents laundry. I actually had to get up in the middle of the night, and change my thin, cotton sleep t-shirt. It did not give me a headache, but the smell was just SO strong. Everytime I tossed or turned, the smell would just waft thru the air. Way, way too much.

I will not use it for clothes any more, but I think it might be good for beach towels or blakets that get washed, and then stored in the closet for months...the scent will of course eventually pass & then be maybe quite nice (and milder!!)!

Comments (42)

• livebetter
    12 years ago

WHO are the people who like this level of fragrance in their laundry?? I just don't understand.

If I can smell laundry detergent wafting off my clothes or my kids ... ugh ... I can't stand it. Just a hint is nice (like fragrance - you shouldn't be able to smell it 2 feet away).

Does anyone ever consider what's in these sythetic fragrances that you're smelling 24/7?

It would give me a headache for sure :0

Not available in Canada yet ... thank goodness.

• Cavimum
    12 years ago

Wow, larsi, if it bothers you it must be strong. Have you tried reducing the amount? Of course, it may take a few wash cycles to remove the original strong scent.

• Related Discussions

Scent recommendation for Clean_and_Bright :)

Q

Comments (1)
    Thanks so much, Larsi!!! That is a great suggestion and I really appreciate you thinking of it and sharing it with me, as I am very particular about how my laundry smells! I have been frustrated with my laundry routine of late. I think some of the old Tide powder I bought is really too old--it doesn't smell as great as your newer old version, and some of the items I washed with it don't seem to smell as clean. I did buy a box of the Tide with Downy AF powder which is great, but I think it works better on certain items--more testing needed! I had a very busy day and didn't make it to the store, but good thing, because now I have added the Bounce bursts scent boosters to my shopping list! I will try it with Tide Free and Clear liquid and powder (I plan to buy and test both). I think I will use the Tide and Downy Free, and the Bounce bursts as you suggested! Yay, new products will have me looking forward to doing about 5 loads of laundry tomorrow! The way you described it, soft and gentle, is right up my alley. I really hope this works, stay tuned!!! So excited!! Larsi, you rock! Thanks :)
    ...See More

Downy Free and Bounce Scent Booster hybrid?

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi Dorey! I have done this MANY times using Downy unscented and either Downy Unstopables or Gain in wash scent boosters. Before P&G ruined Gain Sweet Sizzle scent boosters, they smelled about 99% like my beloved Classic Downy April Fresh. I would dump about 1/2 bottle of the scent boosters in a bottle of Downy unscented (I'd use a larger Downy bottle to allow for more room). In about a day, the scent booster beads will dissolve. The scent was amazing. The only problem I found by doing this, is these scent booster beads are meant to be used during the wash cycle, and they get rinsed away. By making a fabric softener with them, this liquid remains on the laundry. I found after a while, it left my laundry looking a little dull and felt slightly coated. Good Luck!!
    ...See More

Boosters w/o OBA's?

Q

Comments (12)
    I bought a box of Cheer powder as suggested. I don't DISLIKE it but I don't love it either. I've have only done two loads with it thus far so it's really to soon to give an opinion. I WANT to love Seventh Generation liquid but I can't get stains out with it and as someone mentioned before after a few washes with just it by itself things develop a "funk" hence why I was looking for something to help boost it. Their All Purpose cleaner is to die for. Anyone have an opinion on All Free & Clear liquid? It seems like everyone at Target has a huge bottle of it when they depart the laundry asile. With it being allergy sensitive maybe it is OBA free?
    ...See More

Downy, Sales Down

Q

Comments (61)
    Omg...first I ran to the hairdressers as both boys needed cuts than I dropped in Walmart for milk, chicken breasts for Lily and planned to stop at DG last and OMG I forgot to stop. Let me think of an important must have item tonight so hubs can drive me in ..its only a 4 minute drive on a country lane...lets see what do I need that he would consider an emergency. .Hmmm....guess I can say Amiee needs fem protection..Hahaha...such a lie is not nice, but I'm irritated at Mike so I'll do it.....stay tuned.
    ...See More
  • larsi_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It is BEYOND strong. I actually do not want to try it again, even for beach towels or blankets.

The few loads I used it in, I tried varying amounts (from very little, to a full cap). The cloying, pungent perfume is just vile. I do not understand why anyone would want clothing or beddings to be this perfumed!! Honestly, this makes Persil, Downy, Tide, Suavitel, Gain, Snuggle....smell like scent free. Seriously.

A triple never again for me!! The chemcials used to make the fragrance so strong and so long lasting, but me very toxic and just awful for our hormones and indoor air quality!!

• sshrivastava
    12 years ago

This reminds me of the time I purchased several bottles of Le Blanc detergents and L'Amour Towel Wash. These are your typical overpriced boutique products. These products are so heavily scented that it was impossible for me to use it on anything. The Le Blanc/L'Amour products turned my clothes and bath towels into air fresheners. DISGUSTING! I wrote to the company and asked for a refund. They basically said too bad, our other customers like it. This company refuses to stand behind its products, and I don't recommend anyone purchase Le Blanc or L'Amour products.

Many people equate scent with cleanliness, and that's the target market of the new Downy product.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

I'm nauseous just reading about it ;)

I know they must have conducted research before launching a new product. Someone must have like it.

• Anceska
    12 years ago

Hello Larsi, I am new to this website and forum, but last two weeks I have done a lot of reading and research and read some of your posts regarding Electrolux and Miele washer/dryer. Do you still have the Wave or you switched back to Miele?
    I have gone through ordeal with GE, then Samsung and finally ordered the new Electrolux Wave, should get them delivered next week. I am excited yet scared since my two previous purchases highly disapointed me and I hope Electrolux will make up for it. I decided to buy them through Lowes since their warranty price is great and cheap comparing to Sears or Best Buy.

• gates1
    12 years ago

I will have to give them a try and see how they work for me. After reading the downy site about them, you can vary the amount according to the scrent strength you want. I will have to hunt them down and report back

• livebetter
    12 years ago

@Ancedka, not to disappoint you but @Larsi went back to Miele. You can read all about it on this thread. Maybe he'll chime in and give more insight.

Hopefully the machines work out well for you.

I personally did not like the push to open doors on the Electrolux. Would drive me crazy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Excited/Embarassed/Surprised....I returned to Miele

• Anceska
    12 years ago

Ok let me read it right now! I am from Europe and my mom had Miele and now she has AEG Lavamat and loves it. When I first moved to the States with my husband I did not care much about washers and I sweared I would never get a dryer but I got Americanized and now I just want to get some quality appliance. The only thing no retailer here sells Miele and I dont like buying from the internet...
    Livebetter, do you have Miele as well? I have gone to Lowes three times and they keep looking at me as if I was crazy because I am still not sure if I made the right decision. I assume I need to try them first and see how they work...

• livebetter
    12 years ago

Anceska, keep in mind @Larsi is German and is a little prejudice of German quality.

I had Frigidaire front loaders for 10 years (which served me well) but in Feb of this year I did get the Miele W4842/T9822 pair.

I love them. I can see now how they wash and rinse so much better than my previous machine.

Lowes in Canada now sells Miele but I'm sure it's not in the US at Lowes.

When I was searching, I narrowed it down to Miele and LG. I was afraid the Miele wouldn't live up to its VERY high Canadian cost. I can't say if LG would have been fine but I do really love my Mieles. I said on another thread that you really need to own them to understand their nuances.

That being said, there are plenty of people very happy with their LG, Samsung, Whirlpool, Maytag, what have you ...

• Anceska
    12 years ago

Well two weeks ago I bought new Samsung WF431 the new steam, foam and VRT technology. Thwy seemed so promising and I was very very excited. But then came the disappointment. The clothes looked and smelled clean but many stains did not come off. I used my Persil which always works in my mom's AEG. I tried different cycles, even the steam cycle, but stains from coffee or chocolate did not come off.
    I was really turned off by it and on top of it the dryer literally died after one week of use! I returned them immediately and decided to try the Electrolux.
    AEG is not available in US, and Miele only online. I am sort of frustrated. I spent $2500 on the Electrolux and also you have to buy the warranty. I want a good machine that cleans! I have two small boys, 1 year old and 4 year old and we have laundry to do all the time. In Europe we really wash clothes almost every day, opposed to once a week as many Americans prefer.
    The Wave is supposed to be delivered Friday..

• Cavimum
    12 years ago

@Anceska - I am quite sure I read somewhere that if you purchase Miele on the internet, you get no warranty. That is true with vacuum cleaners, so I purchased mine from the local Miele vac dealer.

"I sweared I would never get a dryer but I got Americanized and now I just want to get some quality appliance." Welcome the the USA. We are such a bad influence. LOL ;-)

• larsi_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry Anceska. The two times I swayed from Miele to try Electrolux and Samsung...I was so sorry. I hated, hated the push to open doors on the Wave touch. Also, it used a crazy, insanely small amount of water to wash and rinse...my clothes did not feel or smell that clean.

I do not think Miele, or any other appliance is perfect, and there are cycles I would like Miele to have, or features that would make it "cooler", but IMO, Miele is as close to perfection as an appliance maker can be!

German prejudice?? NEIN!! I do not care for Bosch, Siemens, Volkswagen or Volkswagen. And as much as I LOVE BMW, they can be a real pain in the ass. But, I always either have a BMW or Mercedes just for sheer build quality, materials used and the amount of money and research both companies spend on crash research. I will not put myself or family in anything but a big, German tank! Well, we do have a Range Rover and it is very safe and actually 100% problem free and very robust and tank like (but then again, it was designed by BMW, using BMW parts). LOL!! :)

• livebetter
    12 years ago

This is becoming a different thread :)

@Anceska, AEG is available here in Canada. Are you sure not available in US?

Are you sure no one in Florida is selling Miele. Not sure where you are in Florida but someone must be selling it.

Did you try the dealer locator?
    http://mieleusa.com/locator/locator_new.asp?oT=7

This company sells on line and delivers all over the US. They offer the Miele warranty.
    http://www.ajmadison.com/b.php/Laundry/N~69%3BNtt~miele

I'm worried if you are used to European machines anything else will be a let down.

Here is a link that might be useful: AEG Canada

• Cavimum
    12 years ago

@livebetter - Florida has a lot of Miele dealers - I just did at Dealer Locator search on their USA web site, but they're all clustered mainly at the middle of Florida. A lot of Europeans have vacation homes in Florida, with road signs in some areas are bi-lingual---English and German --- but the far reaches of Miami and the 'panhandle' are too far away for a service call.

• Anceska
    12 years ago

Hello, I live south of Miami, I located a dealer in West Palm Beach but as Cavimum stated, it is to far for service calls etc. I could certainly have it delivered through AJ MAdison for example but I would love to see the machines in person.
    AEG is unfortunatelly not sold in US to my knowledge, in Europe they are very popular and reliable. My cousin has one 13 years old and not one problem.
    @Livebetter, do you have a Miele as well? I am very confused now, I think the more I read the worse off I am. I just dont want to get disappointed with the Wave...

• livebetter
    12 years ago

@Anceska, yes ... sometimes too much knowledge is not a good thing. I too research things to the extreme before buying it.

I do own the Miele W4842/T9822. I got them in February of this year. Prior to that, Frigidaire Gallery front loader for 10 years.

While this Miele does not go above 70C I find it hot enough for me. I'd be afraid to wash too many things in water that hot for fear of shrinkage or ruining the fabric. In fact, I have used the hot setting a couple times but have yet to even try the sanitary.

• sshrivastava
    12 years ago

@ Cavimum

No, Miele will honor their warranty regardless of how you purchased your machines - as long as your buy them from an authorized dealer. I purchased my La Perla over the internet from an authorized dealer in New Jersey. No problem obtaining service (one time when it was first set up) and even got the extended warranty when I had a Miele authorized local installer put the unit in.

@ Anceska

I would not recommend AJ Madison. I purchased a Blanco sink from them, which arrived damaged, and AJ Madison would not exchange or refund my money. Furthermore, Blanco refused to repair or replace the sink because AJ Madison was not an authorized Blanco dealer. Please do not purchase from this company - they are not authorized to sell their products by the manufacturers, therefore compromise any warranty on those products, and worst of all they don't stand behind their products at all.

• gates1
    12 years ago

I bought the downy unstoppables, both the green and purple bottle. So far i have used the green, and it does not appear strong to me at all. I am currently washing a load of towels and doubled the dose, two capfulls, to see what happens. Maybe my washer rinses better tha Larsi's Miele, who knows. Anyway, so far I do not think they are any better than the purex scent enhancers, plus perex is also a much better value too and might even smell better to boot. I will let everyone know how the towels come out. They are being washed in persil

• livebetter
    12 years ago

"my washer rinses better tha Larsi's Miele"

Oooo ... those are fightin' words ;)

Everyone has a different "olfactory" sense. If you are accustomed to more scent than you need more scent to smell. Like me, if you've become accustomed to very little scent than too much is awful.

• gates1
    12 years ago

LOL livebetter, I know, Im waiting for a fist to pop out of my screen and hit me in the eye :)

• larsi_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

BAM,,,,Fist in the eye!!!

Etwas besser als meine beliebte Mielemaschine??

Gates1...the fight is on baby!! LOL he he he :)

• gates1
    12 years ago

Larsi, you must learn to control that temper, it will be your undoing! LOLOLOL!!!! Your sstaringto act like my mom who is german...justp laying with you that all, glad you got a good sense of humor. Anyway, the clothes I washed, do come out more scented, seem to notice it more when I wear them. It doesnt bother me so I will continue to use it. Yes I can see where the scent sensitive folks may not like it, especially those who use scent free products, this is not for you. Off the subject here, but My towels that I washed in Persil had some really heavy soiled washed clothes in them due to my dirty job. When I used them after work, or even yard work, they are seriously filthy. They are a light cream colored, made from 100% cotton. I have washed them in Tide with bleach, no luck getting all the dirt out, even tried clorine bleach since I figured they were ruined, no luck, sanitary cycle, no luck. Used persil last night,and hot water, everything came out looking like new! Larsi is smiling now I bet

• larsi_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

gates1...

Persil, a GERMAN product worked miracles for your towels, when all other AMERICAN soaps and even Chlorine bleach failed??? Ahhhhh, I hear Angels singing somewhere!!! :) :) :)

• whirlpool_trainee
    12 years ago

Well, I'm coming to LA this month - looks like I need to make a shopping list! :)

• sshrivastava
    12 years ago

@ gates1

Did you use Tide w/ Bleach powder or liquid? I recently saw it stated on Tide's own web site that soil-based stains are best removed with powdered detergent, while oil and food-based stains are best removed with liquid detergent.

• gates1
    12 years ago

I have used both the liquid and powered tide with bleach, neither worked on the soil on my wash rags, yes they looked better, but you could clearly see the dirt still in them.

Larsi, Im half german so I am hearing those angels singing and thank god too. Had they not come out clean, they would of been for my use only, not company and such. Can you imagine hanging a dirty looking wash cloth out for someone to use....NOT! They towels cam out smelling fresh and clean, no over scented any more than if I just wash them and yes I use FS on my bath towels, just not kitchen towels. I didnt even option the extra rinses on my washer when I washed them, just used the standard ones....

• gates1
    12 years ago

just did a king size matress pad in it, hardly smell it at all. Watch where you buy this stuff, I got mine at Walmart In Va, 6.97 a bottle, went to Walmart in NC in Elizabeth City, the same size bottle sold for over 10 bucks, and it stayed right on the shelf too. So far, the purex is a better product and deal money wise

• sshrivastava
    12 years ago

Washing clothes in Persil Megaperls and then using Vaska lavender fabric softener makes my clothes smell like sandalwood... :)

• gates1
    12 years ago

never understood the difference between the mega pearls, and the universal powder

• happymomof2kids
    12 years ago

I'm not even going to go near the Unstoppables. I tried the Purex crystals and only used a small amount. I kinda liked the smell, but it was pretty strong and my little girl broke out in a horrible rash all over her back.

They did something to the Suavitel too, so we can't use that anymore either. I either don't use fabric softener now, or I use the unscented kind.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

@happymomof2kids, I can't say enough good things about the Shaklee fabric softener. I know you can't get it at the store but it really is good stuff. It softens, smells lovely (fresh not perfumey) and is "green". If it was no longer available ... not sure what I would do. I've tried them all. I guess I would have to go to unscented too ... sad.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shaklee Soft Fabric Concentrate

• sshrivastava
    12 years ago

@ gates1

Persil Universal Megaperls is basically a concentrated form of Universal Powder. It looks like tiny little beads. The formulations and scents are different. There are two versions of Megaperls - Universal for whites and Color for, well, colors! :)

• happymomof2kids
    12 years ago

@livebetter

I will try the Shaklee. Thank you for the recommendation. I just ordered some Ecover the other day and I am going to try that too. There has to be something out there we can use with a little bit of scent that softens.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

@happymomof2kids, oops ... I just reminded you about this on another thread :)

Everyone is different but I was not a fan of Ecover. Maybe you'll like it??

Shaklee is not thick/goopy, I find it softens nicely (not Downy soft but soft) and the smell (to me) is heavenly. It smells "fresh" as the name implies and not flowery or fruity.

I have a friend whose husband will pull laundry out of the basket (clean of course) just to sniff it (he loves the smell that much). My husband could care less as long as it's clean and smells clean (although he wouldn't be happy with too much flowery stuff). ;)

• happymomof2kids
    12 years ago

@livebetter,

It's okay...no worries. I answered you in the other thread too. My husband is the same way. He doesn't care as long as the clothes are clean, but doesn't like smelling like a flower garden either..rofl. When he was single he swore by Tide Powder and Mountain Fresh Downy or Blounce outdoor fresh sheets I can use the new concentrated version powder of Tide as it doesn't leave an overpowering smell behind, but I am afraid to try the mountain fresh because of my daughter and the bounce I found is already a no go here..lol.

After I give the Ecover a go I will try the Shaklee, if the Ecover doesn't work. Softness is not much of a problem as I am used to a little stiffness from line drying. The only things I have to put in the dryer are socks and towels. The husband can not stand scratchy terry cloth of any kind. LOL

• Cavimum
    12 years ago

I was trolling the detergent aisles (LOL) at Target today and ran across this new Downy Unstoppables product. The scent ws pretty heavy, six inches from the top of the bottle. Normally I have to open the cap to get a whiff, but this perfume is apparently quite potent, since I got such a strong scent that far from a closed package. Yikes.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

Hey @happymomof2kids, how did the Ecover work out?

Shaklee went and changed the scent of their FS and I'm totally bummed.

I know Ecover didn't thrill me before but I'm willing to give it another go. Just curious what you thought.

Which one did you try? Pink cap or yellow cap?

• mom2mnem
    11 years ago

I have used Downey Unstopables ( both fragrances) . I don't use them in every wash , just occasionally and I only use a few "sprinkles"( dots??) My daughter loves perfumes and scents so it was right up her alley! Well, the last time I used Unstopables was when we got back from vacation--get rid of that suitcase smell!
    Well, my daughter started with some itchy red bumps on her upper thigh area ( she wears shorts) I have itchy red bumps around my ankles and all over my legs--thighs, behind the knees, on the knees, my lower back.( I have been wearing capris and I have worn socks on the airplane and to the gym) My husband has complained of itching and bumps on his knees ( he wears loose fitting shorts that end around his knees) I believe the Unstopables has caused these itchy rashes. None of us has ever had a reaction to any product in the past. My one son, who has eczema and tends to react to products, did not end up with any reaction! Just be cautious with this product.

• dakota01
    11 years ago

OMG - I LOVE THE DOWNEY UNSTOPABLES !! I rave about them to family and friends!
    I like the Downey scents better than the Purex ones.
    I only use them for certain items, items that I can use softner on, then I don't use them.
    My hand washables - like better shirts, panties, bras, sweaters, etc. Since I usually also line dry them, the Unstopables helps to freshen them up better than just detergent.
    I even sprinkle a few in when I am washing the dogs bed covers.
    I have bath towels from Frontgate that must be washed in cold and no softner is recommened. It helps to freshen them up. Many micro-fiber cleaning towels don't allow softner either.
    I use them on my very, very stinky horse blankets,fly sheets and his bath towels. I also use them on my winter barn jackets, breeches and gloves. Believe me, those things are really stinky and the Unstopables, have them smelling wonderful and it lasts a nice long time. I think my horse smells better than any other horse in the barn LOL!!!
    My laundry room also ends up smelling nice.
    I'm thinking about making a few little sachets for my closets with them too.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Does anyone know if the scent repels mosquitoes?

• gates1
    11 years ago

I like the newest scent shimmering, it resembles april fresh to me. Much better than the gain scent products by far