SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swampwiz_gw

How to do a dryer vent through the slab?

swampwiz
14 years ago

I would like to have the dryer vent into the slab. It seems that this is as simple as putting a big plastic pipe in the slab form that comes up by the dryer, and all the way to the form boundary for the outside. Is this accurate? The dryer will be electric.

Now as for the exact place to put the vent interface with the dryer, it seems that there are 3 possible locations.

[1] coming up directly out of the slab - this would require that the dryer exhaust comes out the bottom, and very nearly at the location in the slab, with no chance of modification

[2] coming out of the wall behind the dryer - this would require the dryer exhaust to come out of the back; again, the dryer exhaust would need to be at nearly the location of the location in the wall, but since the vent would be in the wall, theoretically, it could be modified; also, the dryer could be moved front to back

[3] coming out of the wall on the side of the dryer - this is similar to [2], but a bit less aesthetic, but perhaps better because the connection could be checked very easily, and the dryer could be moved laterally

It seems that I would need to know exactly what model dryer I would have, as well as exactly where it would be located, so that it would line up exactly. But if I were to get a different model as a replacement, I could have the problem of having the exhaust and vent not line up. Or perhaps the appliance manufacturers are smart enough to put the exhaust at a standard relative location?

Also, as I understand it, a dryer can be configured to exhaust in any of the 3 axes. There is one axis that is the natural axis (i.e., where the exhaust actually comes out of the machinery), but there is a shunt device that allows the exhaust to go in the other 2 directions, if so desired. Is this accurate?

As my house will be completely air conditioned, I want to stay away from putting the vent outside the slab.

I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions about this or anything related to this that I have not thought about.

Comments (16)